[misc.handicap] Terminology

John.Lynch@p0.f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (John Lynch) (08/25/90)

Index Number: 9981

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

With a person in a chair whho can't find a ramp to get around the
stairs, I would suggest saying a person in a wheelchair.  It does make
the problem and needed solution clear.  But on the whole, if the
disability doesn't affect the activity or is needed information, why
mention it.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000.0!John.Lynch
Internet: John.Lynch@p0.f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org (Joe Chamberlain) (08/25/90)

Index Number: 9982

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

 AB> a building, would you say "there is a handicapped person unable to
 AB> find a ramp"?  Or would you say "there is a person with a disability
 AB> who is handicapped by an inaccessible building"?

        O.K.  Let's be real.

        There's an old lady out here who needs help.

        There's a guy with a broken leg who needs help.

        There's a blind girl...

        The descriptive word is place where it feels most
comfortable to the speaker.  The receiver of the assistance
probably doesn't care one way or the other, just as long as they
get some help.

        It's questions like this that cause the handicapped
 to feel more different than they really are.   In addition, it
serves no purpose at the time to complain about the building when
you're trying to get to a meeting.  The accessibility should have
been checked beforehand and action taken to avoid situations
inaccessibility presents.

                                -=joe=-

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!150!140!Joe.Chamberlain
Internet: Joe.Chamberlain@f140.n150.z1.fidonet.org

Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org (Ann Parsons) (08/28/90)

Index Number: 10019

Hi Adrienne,

I was interested to see your reprinted article because of something that
happened to me while I was on my recent trip to Europe.

I left a friend on the patio of the hotel in which we were staying to go seek
my room mate, in order to ask her if she'd like to have icecream with us. As I
made my way across to the stairway, one of my fellow chorus members accosted
me.

"Ann, where is your girl?"

"My what?!" I replied.

"Your girl. I just saw her out there with you five minutes ago. Where is she?"

I was so angry that if my cane had been a sword I am sure that I would have
run him through on the spot! <grin> As it was, I held onto my cane and said
"Oh, don't say any more."

I made my way to the stairway and my chorister friend followed me.

"Ann, can I put you on the elevator?" he said.

I had had enough, I confess. I turned to him and said, "Excuse me, but I am a
person not a package."

Which brings me to terminology. I think that sometimes we are overly concerned
about nouns when we should pay attention to verbs too. All of you know what I
mean. there is a deffinite difference between the following questions.

"Can I take you to the bathroom?"

"Can I go with you to the lady's room?"

"Can I put you on the elevator?"

"Can I give you a hand with the elevator? Or, Hey Ann, are you going to take
the elevator or do you want exercise?"

Many people speak of taking a blind person someplace. This is demeaning in my
view. It implies that the person you are with has no other function then to
assist you. On the other hand the use of the verbs "go with" or "walk with"
imply the sighted person is with a person who has other qualities then that of
needing.

Think about it folks. We need to retrain the able bodied to use the proper
verbs as well as the proper nouns.

As a finish to the above anicdote, my friend Sue, "my girl", and I have vowed
to come to the reunion of the chorus from the European trip dressed in
costume. I am coming as a victorian lady with a lorniette and Sue is coming as
my maid. <evil grin> I don't think we'll ever stop laughing about this.

Ann P.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!260!204!Ann.Parsons
Internet: Ann.Parsons@f204.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Tony.Wallace@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Tony Wallace) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10081

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

        Crippled, Handicapped, Disabled now Physically Challenged. The
net result is same. I (SCI C5-6) would respond to a direct question
(i.e. What are the daily problems you've face since your crippling
accident?) much better than I would to a condescending statement that
is heard all to often (i.e. I think its its wonderful that all you
Physically challenged people do so much.....)
        Direct, face to face, honest questions and discussion are the
most illuminating.
        As far as accessable buildings, here in Toronto this summer,
the city was presenting an award to a guy in a 'chair for some such (I
don't recall what, not important) and held the reception in an old
University building with a long flight of stone stairs and no ramp. Ha!
They ended up making the presentation on the street amid many red
faces...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Tony.Wallace
Internet: Tony.Wallace@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10083

In a message to Joe Chamberlain <24 Aug 90  9:04:00> Tony Wallace wrote:

 TW>        Crippled, Handicapped, Disabled now Physically Challenged.
 TW> The net result is same. I (SCI C5-6) would respond to a direct
 TW> question (i.e. What are the daily problems you've face since your
 TW> crippling accident?) much better than I would to a condescending
 TW> statement that is heard all to often (i.e. I think its its wonderful
 TW> that all you Physically challenged people do so much.....)

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I guess that's one thing I
like about kids, they'll walk right up to you, look you in the eye
and ask, "What's wrong with you?"  "Why can't you walk?", etc.
They really want to know.  And the whole time the parents are
freaking out and trying to make the kids understand that you "don't
mention things like that"...

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Ed.Dobie@f175.n120.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Dobie) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10084

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

JP->     Couldn't have said it better myself.  I guess that's
JP->one thing I like about kids, they'll walk right up to you,
JP->look you in the eye and ask, "What's wrong with you?"  "Why
JP->can't you walk?", etc.  They really want to know.  And the
JP->whole time the parents are freaking out and trying to make
JP->the kids understand that you "don't mention things like
JP->that"...

EXACTLY!  My daughter (9) has quite a wheelchair with vent, ECU devices,
ect. She drives down a mall isle & every adult's chin hits the floor.  The
kids really pay little attention.  If they do they just simple ask, "what's
that tube do?" And a simple responce of, "it helps her breath," is all that
is necessary.  There...the kid knows what's going on & feels comfortable.
This kid now even has a bond with my daughter.  Then they will make an
attempt to directly communicate with my daughter.  (She's 9 going on 39, but
still a kid if you know what I mean.)  After that she just becomes a friend
(in a wheelchair).

The real problem with terminology is with the non-disabled.  It's like
anything else, just a matter of acceptance.  Since my daughters' injury, my
wife & I, have had to do alot of first hand lingo in a lot of arenas.  We've
been super conscience of "labels."  We've had many discussions about what
"sounds" best or should I say what makes us feel better.  Then we decided
that we would let Jill decide, that's when we stopped & realized that it
really doesn't matter to her as long as she's treated with respect.

Ed

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!120!175!Ed.Dobie
Internet: Ed.Dobie@f175.n120.z1.fidonet.org

Tony.Wallace@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org (Tony Wallace) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10086

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

        Kids are the best... they are forthright and honest. They do
not get appalled or embarassed if your legs (or I suppose your eyes
ears or anything else) don't function the same as theirs. Mind you kids
aren't bigoted or racist either. When is it we teach them all those
wonderful attitudes ?

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!12!700!Tony.Wallace
Internet: Tony.Wallace@f700.n12.z1.fidonet.org

Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Stu Turk) (09/05/90)

Index Number: 10089

Ann Parsons of 1:260/204 wrote to Adrienne Barhydt:

 AP>"Your girl. I just saw her out there with you five minutes ago.
 AP>Where is she?"

 AP>I was so angry that if my cane had been a sword I am sure that I
 AP>would have run him through on the spot! <grin> As it was, I held
 AP>onto my cane and said
   =
   I've pointed out before that the reason the tip of the can is red is so the
blood doesn't show.

 AP>"Can I give you a hand with the elevator? Or, Hey Ann, are you
 AP>going to take
 AP>the elevator or do you want exercise?"

 AP>Many people speak of taking a blind person someplace. This is
 AP>demeaning in my
 AP>view. It implies that the person you are with has no other
 AP>function then to
 AP>assist you. On the other hand the use of the verbs "go with" or
   =
   I agree with your comments.   It makes a difference when someing says "would
you like to come with us", instead of "can we take you someplace".

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!26!Stu.Turk
Internet: Stu.Turk@f26.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Susan.Goldfield@p0.f1089.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Susan Goldfield) (06/18/91)

Index Number: 16157

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Hello Eric and thank you so much for responding to my post. I agree
with you 1000% . The term Mongolism is truly an ugly thing. I did
indeed know of the history of the word and have felt first hand how
it can effect people. I mentioned in a previous post that my Aunt
Ellen, who has Down's Syndrome, calls it Up's Syndrome. She thought
of that many years ago and that clever change gave her alot of self
confidence. I also would like to see"trisomy 21" used as an alternative.
I have worked with professionals who have blatantly slighted these
adults because of prejudice. One person, who worked for Office of
Vocational Rehabilitation in Pa, wasn't going to continue funding
because he said, "Down's aren't able to work, they're just not capable
of it". I nearly said some very unlady like things, but held my breath
instead. We already had a job lined up for him. What else can I say?
What else can we do? Talk with you soon.....Sue

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1089.0!Susan.Goldfield
Internet: Susan.Goldfield@p0.f1089.n261.z1.fidonet.org