[misc.handicap] GETTING BOOKS READ

Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Nancy Feldman) (05/03/91)

Index Number: 15289

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

As some of you may have guessed by now, I am an avid reader,
particularly of science fiction, horror and fantasy novels.  I am
also an avid role-player.

The problem I face is that the Library of Congress never seems to
have enough of what I want to read.  I'm sure that many of you have
experienced this problem.  What I want to know is what have you
done about it?  Let me tell you what I have done, and if others
have done the same maybe we can swap books or something.

What I have done is send books to reader groups and to friends who
have volunteered to read for me.  I send tapes or money (depending
on the group or individual reader) and eventually I get a completed
copy of the book back.

This has worked quite well for the last year or so, but I still
wish there were more reader groups out there.  I currently use
Volunteers of Vacaville, Volunteer Braille Services and Braille
Institute of America.  Does anyone know of any other groups that
read books to tape and don't charge a fortune?  If so, please send
me their addresses, as I am collecting such info.

I also have 2 friends reading books for me, and they are both very
good readers.

Anyway, mostly at the moment I am having Star Trek novels read,
though I have had several other types of books read.  If anyone is
interested, let me know.

Take care.

-> MegaMail v2.01 #0:Reality is for those who can't handle SF.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!605!Nancy.Feldman
Internet: Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Nancy Feldman) (05/06/91)

Index Number: 15397

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I love Dark Shadows, Paula.  In fact, I found an echo on another
network all about Dark Shadows.  I sure was happy!

Anyway, Volunteers of Vacaville charges $20 a year plus 50 cents a
tape to read ooks onto 4-track tapes.  These are not professional
readers, they are prisoners trying to do something good.  Soe have
become very good, others aren't.  They also provide 4 book clubs:
general, mystery, SF and westerns.  They will send you a new book
each month in each book club you select.

They have done well in the past, but are experiencing a slowdown at
the moment.  There address is:

Volunteers of Vacaville
POB 670
Vacaville, CA  93696-0670

The others will have to wait, because I can't remember their
addresses off the op of my head, and my kids got ahold of my card
file and disorganized it.  Sigh.

-> MegaMail v2.01 #0:Illusion:  Everything you see around you!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!605!Nancy.Feldman
Internet: Nancy.Feldman@f605.n105.z1.fidonet.org

RYAN@CANISIUS.BITNET (Dan Ryan) (05/13/91)

Index Number: 15539

I have read with great interest the two recent blurbs on GETTING BOOKS
READ.  I work at Canisius College in Buffalo, and I believe that we have
a number of student organizations that may be VERY interested in starting
a project like this.  I, however, know very little about the specifics
(what types of books would be in demand, what kind of quality is demanded,
and how could we best start something like this).  If anyone has any information
or suggestions (or even requests!) please let me know.

Thanks

tony@disk.uucp (Tony) (05/14/91)

Index Number: 15547

	How about books on filmstrips?  Is there such a thing?  Fast readers
who have become disabled and who now have to rely on page turners can often
get so frustrated because the pages turn so slowly.  Is there any source for
books on filmstrips...  so a person could turn pages as quickly as they can
read?   Thanks!

				- Tony -

P.S.  Or... if you do happen to know of a page turner that REALLY WORKS
      quickly and accurately, I'd like to know about it too.

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (05/24/91)

Index Number: 15797

Hello Tony!

In a msg of <14 May 91>, Tony writes to All:

 T>         How about books on filmstrips?  Is there such a thing?  Fast
 T> readers who have become disabled and who now have to rely on page
 T> turners can often get so frustrated because the pages turn so slowly.
 T> Is there any source for books on filmstrips...  so a person could turn
 T> pages as quickly as they can read?   Thanks!

What about books on computers? If a person has a speech synthesizer
than it can read him the book off the screen, otherwise he could
just use a key on the keyboard to get to the next screen/page.

Julie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org (Dennis Asher) (05/24/91)

Index Number: 15809

} slowly.  Is there any source for books on filmstrips...  so a
} person could turn pages as quickly as they can read?   Thanks!

If you have a IBM compatible there are a (very) few books available in ASCII
text form which you can read on your computer at your own pace. Sources are:

Computerised books for the blind: mostly computer related text books, but
they do have "A Short History of Time"(Steven Hawkins) and "Tales from THe
Dark Side".havent seen the latest catalogue yet so there may be more by now.

The REader Project: Has quite a range of books which can be downloaded from
their BBS, but the joining fees are quite steep and each book must be purchased,
not borrowed or even rented.

Library of The Future: Have 450 books on a CD-ROM (if you have a CD-ROM
player), all are classics, no recent material and many are more suitable for
study purposes ie. Homer, Shakespeare, etc, but the do have a few liesure
collections like the complete collection of Arthur Conan Doyle (Shelock
Holmes) and others.

If any of these interest you post a message and I'll dig out the addresses.
We have several books here but they're all childrens' stories.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3!690!626.0!Dennis.Asher
Internet: Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (05/31/91)

Index Number: 15881

Hello Tony!

In a msg of <14 May 91>, Tony writes to All:

 T>         How about books on filmstrips?  Is there such a thing?  Fast
 T> readers who have become disabled and who now have to rely on page
 T> turners can often get so frustrated because the pages turn so slowly.
 T> Is there any source for books on filmstrips...  so a person could turn
 T> pages as quickly as they can read?   Thanks!

What about books on computers? If a person has a speech synthesizer
than it can read him the book off the screen, otherwise he could
just use a key on the keyboard to get to the next screen/page.

Julie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org (Dennis Asher) (05/31/91)

Index Number: 15893

[...]

Tzipporah.Benavraham@f632.n278.z1.fidonet.org (Tzipporah Benavraham) (05/31/91)

Index Number: 15917

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Dan call the National Library Service for the Blind in Washington DC
and ask for the offices of reference manuals. Bill West deals with a
project to start reading studios. He works for them and wrote a book
and manual on this process. he set up and consulted with Recording
for the Blind at 20 Roszel Rd in Princeton PA on the facility they
have there now. The Address for the National Library Sertvice for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped is 129o Taylor St NW Washington
Dc 20542. Also ask for the book "volunteers who produce books" a
free reference circular. It is remarkably useful and may provide
insight where the newer needs are.

Congratulations on your idea of starting a group. I applaude you and
wish you success in this. we need more people like you.

Tzipporah

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!278!632!Tzipporah.Benavraham
Internet: Tzipporah.Benavraham@f632.n278.z1.fidonet.org

Dennis.Asher@p0.f626.n690.z3.fidonet.org (Dennis Asher) (06/19/91)

Index Number: 16230

}    I am very interested for books in ASCII, but I haven't
}got the full addresses of those companies.

Haven't got the addresses with me but will post in a day or two. This info
might help for now:

Library of the Future is on CD-ROM and should be available through normal
retail outlets. Also on CD-ROM is "Famous American Authors" and the
Complete Works of Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) I'll post messages
about more as we find them.

We have a couple of Childrens stories available; Alice in Wonderland and A
Xmas Carol. They're available at A$7.50 per disk on MAC, IBM, Commodore 64,
Amiga, or Apple II
disks. The address for those is:

Noah's Ark Toy Library and Resource Centre
(For Children With Special Needs)
73 Angove Street
North Perth 6006
Australia

We also plan to have some children's picture books available soon. Any body
interested can post a message and I will advise when they're ready.

There's a shareware disk called The Story Tree, which has a collection of
children's stories is ASCII.

The Reader Project is not yet available outside the USA.