[misc.handicap] Nazi Schmazi - Get a Life!

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (06/20/91)

Index Number: 16245

COVICI@CCS.COVICI.COM (John Covici) writes:

>34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) writes:
>
>> One factor conveniently ignored in all these ravings is the question:
>> who pays for all this? One is cleverly led to *presume* that the poor,
>> defenseless patient and/or his/her relatives are forking over the money
>> for all this "heroic" care, but the gut issue of money is always neatly
>> dodged, ...
>
>Yes, money does come into the picture in many cases, although in the recent
>case in Miniapolis THE BILLS WERE  BEING PAID. But when you bring money into
>the picture, then are we asking does a human life have a monitary value?

Are we? The  care WILL BE PAID FOR  - that is an economic  fact of life.
Isn't the REAL QUESTION being asked "WHO is going to pay for all this?"

You? Me? The family? The Doctor? The hospital? The government (taxpayer)?

For how long? A day? A week? Forever?

To what limit? A thousand dollars? A million dollars? A billion? All I/you/we
have, individually and/or collectively?

Of course the press releases said the bills were being paid - at that moment.
They failed, of  course, to mention HOW MUCH LONGER  they would continue
to be  paid by insurance -  revealing such information, after  all, does
not look very good  in print. It tends to tarnish  the image of wannabee
moralistic crusaders in the public eye. When such information is printed,
it is then  a simple matter for  the public to put two  and two together
and realize, or imagine, something like "Well, the insurance runs out in
just two more weeks, so everybody is scrambling to get out from under."

>That is what the Nazis said, specifically: kill all those nonproductive
>"useless  eaters"; that's  why the  references to  Hitler, because  the
>groups  pushing Euthanasia,  behind all  their blahblah  about patients
>choice and all that obfuscation lurks the very question of money.

Excuse me, but that is simply a  load of horse apples. The term "useless
eaters" was coined  by Mao Tse-Tung and has  obviously been appropriated
by other propaganda  groups for its emotional impact. The  Nazis made no
references to money of the  manner invented here; they annihilated their
victims on the  basis of "preserving racial  purity", "maintaining Aryan
supremecy", or simply  as "revenge" against what they chose  to call the
"crimes"  of defenseless  Jews against  German society.  All this  was a
calculated propaganda  device to enhance  and maintain the power  of the
leadership by scapegoating and deliberate use of emotional stereotyping;
just as is the clever use of the term "Nazi" with reference to the medical
profession.

What is really happening here is simple. We have a small, vocal propaganda
group attempting to  appear to seize the moral high  ground by shrilling
for what  amounts to free, unlimited  medical care for one  group at the
expense of another.

Of course, since THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO  IDEA WHO WILL PAY FOR ALL THIS
free care, we get the  usual pressure-group smoke tactics, complete with
phony moralizing  and press-agent references to  "Nazi Doctors" whenever
the  subject of  money  is raised.  One could  use  the same  ridiculous
emotional badgering as  an arguement for FREE FOOD,  FREE CLOTHING, FREE
HOUSING... or anything else.

>And we must further ask the question that if our society is not willing
>to  spend such  monies to  keep people  alive, have  we lost  the moral
>fitness to survive? This is what is posed by the Euthanasia controversy
>and somewhat  by the abortion question.  Its murder in either  case and
>money indeed is sometimes directly an issue.

Yes, money is an issue. But is one then to enbrace the fascist "morality"
of  the abortion  clinic  BOMBERS?  Is one  to  embrace their  psychotic
doctrine that  it is OK to  kill anyone who  disagrees if it is  done in
furtherance of  some self-styled "moral  crusade"? Is one to  accept the
propaganda that it is OK to bomb  the clinics and KILL ANYONE inside, NO
MATTER WHO  nor how many,  on the fatuous pretext  that the life  of one
unborn "might" be saved?

Transfer that  demagoguery to  the matter of  hospital care  of comatose
patients. In the twisted morality of manipulation, we seem to be hearing
an awful message;  we seem to be being battered  with the bloody slogans
of the past in  an effort to convince us that  any institution daring to
disagree with the  "free care for everyone" hoopla  should be destroyed.
Now  THAT is  much,  much closer  to  the way  the  REAL NAZIS  actually
operated.

>But moral values are also the  issue; what about the Wanglee case where
>the bills were paid? The relatives  didn't want to inherit the money or
>anything, so  why did the hospital  sue to kill the  patient? These are
>the questions  to think about when  looking at what these  Nazi doctors
>are doing.

Money to inherit? Excuse me, but the care givers would have a prior claim
against any and all assets of the estate of a former patient, up to either
the value of the estate or  the amount of the outstanding medical bills.
There would be NOTHING TO INHERIT,  so of course the relatives could say
with perfect candor that they were uninterested in inheriting. Who wants
to worry over inheriting zilcho?

Why would the hospital sue? "To kill the patient", screeches the propaganda.
We must  ask ourselves if this  strident publicity is a  precursor to an
attempt to gain some elective office?

In general,  a hospital and its  doctors may be held  legally liable for
any harm done to a patient while he/she is in their care. If the hospital
unilaterally discontinues life support (Disconnects the respirator, stops
force feeding,  whatever...) and the  patient dies, they are  subject to
suit by relatives and family of the deceased.

If, however, the above actions are taken in accordance with a Court Order,
the likelihood of litigation decreases sharply. As mentioned in my earlier
post, the hospital cannot pay for an intensive-care (ICU) patient themselves
for any length of time without making up the costs somewhere else.

Suppose they did - what harm would it do? Well, who are you going to lay
off in order to continue providing  care to the ICU patient? Having laid
off some staff, the capacity of the  hospital is likely to drop. Now the
percentage of revenues dedicated to preserving the life of our hypothetical
ICU patient has increased. Further lay-offs will be needed to make up the
lost revenues. And the cycle repeats.

At what point does one stop? Or  are we hearing demands for the ultimate
destruction of a medical facility in a futile effort to preserve what may
be the body of a brain-dead  patient? If that hospital or medical center
is forced to  cease operations, and many have been  forced to do exactly
that in recent years, how many persons will suffer or die needlessly for
lack of available medical care? The frothing propagandists howling about
"Nazi Doctors" would, apparently, have us embrace this sort of morality.
Morality? Only in their twisted world view.

And of course, when the power is turned off because the hospital can no longer
pay the bills... our hypothetical comatose patient is also endangered.

Sez me,

W. K. (Bill) Gorman

Fair Warning: Flame in private, roast in public.