[misc.handicap] The Handicap News BBS

eric@tfs.COM (Eric Smith) (06/20/91)

Index Number: 16251

[Note from Bill McGarry: See the next article.]

What is "The Handicap News BBS"?  Is it for handicapped persons or
for professionals who work with handicapped persons?  Are there a
lot of BBS's like that throughout the country?  Is there a national
listing of them somewhere?

Just curious.  Thanks.

wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com (Bill McGarry) (06/20/91)

Index Number: 16252

Eric Smith (eric@tfs.COM) writes:

> What is "The Handicap News BBS"?  Is it for handicapped persons or
> for professionals who work with handicapped persons?  Are there a
> lot of BBS's like that throughout the country?  Is there a national
> listing of them somewhere?

The Handicap News BBS is a computer bulletin board that I run
here in Connecticut.  It is open to everyone, whether you are
handicapped or not.  I carry about 20 different conferences
relating to the handicapped, such as ABLED, BlinkTalk, SilentTalk,
Chronic Pain, Spinal Injury, Advocacy, Rare Disorders, Cerebral Palsy,
MS, Care Givers, Amputees, Abled Athlete, etc, etc.  This BBS
is also where the gatewaying of articles from Fidonet to the Usenet
newsgroup, misc.handicap, and the Bitnet mailing list, the Handicap
Digest, is done.

The BBS also has a lot of programs and text files for the handicapped -
one-finger programs, sign language tutors, speech synthesizer drivers,
text enlargers, copies of laws such as ADA and 508, etc.

I have had the IBM disability resource database avaiable for on-line
searching but have run out of disk room so until I can get a larger
drive donated, this has been temporarily removed.

I maintain a list of BBS's that have conferences and/or programs
for the handicapped.  The most current version of this list is
from December of 1990 but I am working on an updated list which
should be finished within the next week.  The latest version has
nearly 700 BBS's throughout the world.  Most of the BBS's listed
are listed merely because they carry one or more of the Fidonet
conferences listed above but there are about 70 BBS's that contain
more information for the handicapped.

Feel free to call the Handicap News BBS anytime.  The phone number
is 1-203-337-1607 (300/1200/2400 baud).  First time callers have
full privileges and there are no charges.

                                Bill McGarry
                                (203) 337-1518

UUCP:       {oliveb, philabs, decvax, yale}!bunker!wtm
INTERNET:   wtm@bunker.shel.isc-br.com
BITNET:     l-hcap@ndsuvm1.bitnet
fidonet:    The Handicap News BBS (141/420)   1-203-337-1607
            (300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hours)
Compuserve: 73170,1064