[misc.handicap] Driving

Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org (Harry London) (01/18/91)

Index Number: 13045

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

I was hoping not to be re-examined for driving. The letter had a box for
reaction time and a box for driving exam, but they only checked the
former. I pretend there won't be a driving test, but may be living in a
dream. It's been 6 months since my final hand-control lesson and
graduation, so I'll need a refresher lesson. Sinai occupational therapy
does not take me to and through the test, but the VA (Fort Howard) does
take their drivers through. I might hook up with the VA to avail myself
of that help. Otherwise what would I take the test in? Thanks for the
good luck wish. I'll try to remember to keep you posted.
Regards,
     Harry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!261!1000!Harry.London
Internet: Harry.London@f1000.n261.z1.fidonet.org

Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Pickup) (03/01/91)

Index Number: 13791

In a message to Jay Schlink <31 Jan 91 10:03> Joe Chamberlain wrote:

 JC>        Glad to hear it.  Good luck with the driving.  I have
 JC> decided it is time for me to stop driving and it was a very hard
 JC> decision but I just don't have the tricep response time anymore
 JC> needed for effective braking.

Joe,  before you give up on driving think about an alternative
setup.  I'd be out of luck if I depended on triceps for braking.
Mine just don't have that kind of power.  I can operate my brake
and gas with bicep and wrist movement only.  There's alot of good
technology and if it's worth it to you, you can get custom made
systems that fit YOUR situation.

When they put my system together, they did it based on MY best
movements and strengths.

                             -Jerry

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!360!1.33!Jerry.Pickup
Internet: Jerry.Pickup@p33.f1.n360.z1.fidonet.org

Keith.Jones@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Keith Jones) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16302

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

-> woman who'd been watching an exit, unobserved by me, came over
-> and raved about it. I am now much more famous as a managing
-> paraplegic than I ever was in ordinary working/living. Best,

   People who watch us get around by driving and taking care of
ourselves are amazed. People are also amazed by the advances in modern
technology that allows us to drive. My comment to people who watch me
get in and out of my van with my lift is "Now if only medical technology
could come as far as medical technology then I would not need this
(lift)". In the meantime thank God for modern technology. In the past we
would have had no independence.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Keith.Jones
Internet: Keith.Jones@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org