[misc.handicap] Asap program needs help!

Donald.Belew@f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org (Donald Belew) (06/18/91)

Index Number: 16143

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

I recently tried out the new demo of the Asap program; I think it has
some good features, however, it would be a much better product if it
were more user configurable.  What I mean is, the user should have full
flexibility in determining how to set it up for any application.  That
would provide an accurate way for the program to read specific areas of
the screen so that you hear only what you need to know.  In using the
program with Procomm, I found that in may cases it read far too much
information.  In using it with Pc-File, it did not upon inital execution
of pc-File read the correct areas of the screen.  This could easily give
little or incoreect information to a new user of the applications
program.  These observations are intended to positive in nature, so that
the author of the program may make appropriate adjustments in the
program.  Thank you very much for reading this message.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!125!28!Donald.Belew
Internet: Donald.Belew@f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org

kirk@braille.uwo.ca (Kirk Reiser) (06/22/91)

Index Number: 16344

Donald.Belew@f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org (Donald Belew) writes:

>Index Number: 16143
>I recently tried out the new demo of the Asap program; I think it has
>some good features, however, it would be a much better product if it
>were more user configurable.  What I mean is, the user should have full
>flexibility in determining how to set it up for any application.  That
>would provide an accurate way for the program to read specific areas of
>the screen so that you hear only what you need to know.  In using the

ASAP has always been configurable on the command line when invoking the
package.  It can be configured while running the program as well.

As of the past few days, Lary has released the latest version which allows
the user to store any configurations made during the use of an application.
That will automatically be loaded the next time you invoke the application.
>program with Procomm, I found that in may cases it read far too much
>information.  In using it with Pc-File, it did not upon inital execution
>of pc-File read the correct areas of the screen.  This could easily give
>little or incoreect information to a new user of the applications
>program.  These observations are intended to positive in nature, so that
>the author of the program may make appropriate adjustments in the
>program.  Thank you very much for reading this message.

This is a good point, but! there are not many programs which ASAP doesn't
read the correct information.  That can be configured as I pointed out above.
I think the important thing to remember here is, ASAP automatically reads
more of what is going on than "ANY" other program off the mark.  The problem
of too much information is sort of amusing from my vantage point, because
I would rather know what is there and then restrict the information myself,
thus giving me the control.
>--
  Kirk
email:   kirk@braille.uwo.ca		room H045 Health Sciences Addition
phone: (519) 661-3061			University of Western Ontario
					London Ontario N6A 5C1