[misc.handicap] Jaws

Walter.Siren.@p1.f8.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren ) (09/17/90)

Index Number: 10399

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SG>  Jaws is not in full controll of the pc cursor.  I would like more
 SG>  information on this locking up.  I have done som tests and have not
 SG>  been able to get jaws1 to lock up.

I don't know what you mean by jaws not being in control of the pc
cursor.  It does not make any difference.  If it does not lock up
for you, you are lucky.  I spoke to TEd about this problem, and he
said that it was a problem in jaws 1.  It is something about it
send those signs out as words and it is overloading a buffer.  I am
not a programmer, so I don't quite understand it.  However, he said
that this problem will be cleared up in jaws 2.  I have also been
experiencing another problem that I was not sure about.  When I use
the alt key on the right end of the new keyboards, with another
key, I get function key to echo back to me.  Never when I use the
alt key on the left end.  He said that has happened to others
also,but that problem is cleared up in jaws 2.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!8.1!Walter.Siren.
Internet: Walter.Siren.@p1.f8.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren.@p1.f8.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren ) (09/20/90)

Index Number: 10469

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 GD>  Walter, I just purchased Vocal Eyes and believe me everything that
 GD>  everyone is saying is great about really is.  Any speech program that
 GD>  is easy enough for me to sit down with a demo disk and in an hour or
 GD>  so get it prety well figured out! that's my kind of program.

Grant, I have been trying to give vocal-eyes a try.  However, I had
to take longer than an hour to read the docs.  I have been trying
to get it to run, but I had a little problem with getting it to
talk, but I have solved that problem, and I was reading the help
screens, whe it locked up my computer.  I haven't given up yet.
There is one thing that I am a little dissappointed in, and that is
reading the help screens, there is no way apparently to go back and
review the screen a line at a time.  When I try to learn something,
I like to take it slow, and go over things more than once.  If
there is a way, I haven't found it yet.  I haven't spoke to doug
about that yet, because I am trying to see how far I can get on my
own.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!8.1!Walter.Siren.
Internet: Walter.Siren.@p1.f8.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren.@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren ) (10/17/90)

Index Number: 11161

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 BK>  Walter, I just thought I'd ask how jaws is performing for you these
 BK>  days? Have you had a chance to use Jaws two, and if so, I'd
 BK>  appreciate your thoughts on it.  Thanks.

I am still using jaws 1, and it is performing fine, just like it
always has.  I have jaws 2, but there are few bugs in it, and I am
waiting for Ted to get them out before I will use it.  One thing,
it does not turn all punctuation off like it is suppose to do.
And, the repeat filter is not working right.  He still really has
not completed it yet, because he has not made all of the
configurations for different programs like he is going to do.  He
has part of the wordperfect configeration, but it is not finished
either.  He has corrected some bugs, but he is still getting
feedback.  I am sure that it should be ready soon.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren.
Internet: Walter.Siren.@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (12/05/90)

Index Number: 12259

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 GD> the way what's the latist poop on Jaws II?  I'll never forget that night
 GD> last March when you came to demonstrate jaws to me and I was just blown
 GD> away by its abilities.  I just wish it was a faster running program.  I've
 GD> ended up with both Jaws and Vocal-Eyes and cannot decide which one I like
 GD> better because each one has its strengths.  I love the macros in Jaws but
 GD> jaws does not have keylabeling abilities

Grant, jaws 2 now has key labeling ability.  It is done in their
new macro set-up.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Grant.Downey@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Grant Downey) (12/05/90)

Index Number: 12312

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

What are more of the goodiesin the new Jaws?  One day therewill
be the perfect screen reader I guess but every one of them has
its strengths.  If you ever have the opportunity, Walter, you
should the combination of Vocal-Eyes and the Soundingboard.  I
hadthe opportunity at work to put the two together and just had
a ball.  Unfortunately my computer at work doesn't have the
sounding board and I can't get my wife Amy to give it up. Grant

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89.0!Grant.Downey
Internet: Grant.Downey@p0.f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Walter Siren) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12365

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 GD> What are more of the goodiesin the new Jaws?  One day therewill
 GD> be the perfect screen reader I guess but every one of them has
 GD> its strengths.  If you ever have the opportunity, Walter, you
 GD> should the combination of Vocal-Eyes and the Soundingboard.

Grant, When I upgraded my computer to an a t, I listened to the
tapes of the sounding board along with others.  I could not use the
votalker any longer since it cannot be used on the a t.  FRankly, I
liked some of the features of the sounding board, but I did not
like the sound of the sounding board.  It is true , that it is no
worse than the votalker, but both of them put me to sleep when
listening to long text files with their monotnus sound.  I wanted
something with a little expression in its voice.  That is why I
settled on the accent.  Since I can't afford the dectalk, I had to
go with the next thing that I could afford.  I wish I had checked
into the audapter, since I hear it might have been what I would
like to have for the price.  It is too late now.

AS far as the goodies in jaws 2, I am still finding them out.  If
you bought your jaws 1 in 1990, you can get a free upgrade.  That
is what ted said on an interview on one of the magazines.  I am not
sure if it was on news bits or the TIB.

As far as some day having the perfect screen reader, I don't think
that will ever come.

I wish one day I would have the time to sit down and really work
with vocal eyes.  From what little I saw of it, I think that it has
great possibilities.  But, you know it is hard to change.
BEsides, I love using macros.  They cut down on a lot of time.

               Walter

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!396!5.18!Walter.Siren
Internet: Walter.Siren@p18.f5.n396.z1.fidonet.org

Scott.Green@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Green) (12/06/90)

Index Number: 12366

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Everyone wants to know what the best screen reader is right?  Well it
is easy to guess.  You can tell by my subject heading.  It is no secret
that jaws is the best in screen reading technology today.  I have a few
reasons to base my opinion on.  I am here by stating that this is just
my opinion and I invite anyone to prove me wrong in this statement,
"Jaws makes all other screen-readers look like dead fish in the water."
 Go ahead make my day.  Prove me wrong.

First let's talk about the company that produces JAWS.  The people that
work at this company work there ass off to help support there program.
Where as other companies such as the one that produces Flipper the fish
I'm sorry the screen reading program called flipper have a hell of a
time just changing there schedule to confuse people.  Furthermore if
you call after hours with Henter-Joyce the producers of JAWS you can at
least leave a message and they will call you back  The producers of
flipper won't even let you leave a message.  I think they think
something might be wrong with there program and they would have to do
some work to support it.

Yes there are many other screen readers out there but it is clear that
Flipper and JAWS (the best) are the two in conflict.  So let's stick
with those shall we?

Let's talk about the people that work at these companies.  I just have
one problem with Omnecron.  Here is why.

I had a friend that had a problem with Flipper and call to get it
fixed.  The people at the company said that they knew what the problem
was but they didn't know how to fix it.  When they did they said they
would let him know.  In the mean time my friend would have to quit
doing computer work.  That's not ecceptable in a job!  I mean you can't
tell your employer "I can't do any work today because the program we
got for me doesn't work and the programers don't know why."  I wouldn't
want to tell an employer that.  By the way if you call the producers of
flipper during the day they never have the same schedule.  At least
Henter-Joyce does.  Also Henter-joyce knows there program and if there
is a problem with a part of it they will get it working for you.
Because they know that work is important.

Alright!  Okay!  I'm through griping about the companies now let's
gripe about the flipper program.  Anyone want to prove me wrong yet?  I
challenge you!

First when you review the screen with the Flipper program you are out
of communication with your computer.  This should never be the case.
With JAWS you have two cursors.  One is the IBM PC cursor and the other
is the jaws cursor.  The jaws cursor lets you review the screen and
still communicate with the program you are working with.

Second the Flipper program uses to many control and alt keys.  The
flipper spends to much time having the user press keys in Dot-to-dot
fashion.  Jaws uses a simple keypad layout that hardly bothers any
application program.  Jaws can mostly be operated with one hand where
Flipper takes two hands (two hands two tired).  Why use two hands and
when you can use one and save time?

The use of control keys such as control-l for read line is a cute idea
but wait until you hit an application that uses control-l for some
thing else.  Yes I know that flipper has a way arround this but it
takes to much time and extra key strokes.

The bottom line is that flipper is not only a half-way supported
program (supported when the company feels like supporting it), it is a
slow program that should be placed on the shelf right along with the
old raised print books that blind people had to use in the old days
before braille.  Flipper should move aside and let a real program take
its place, namely, "JAWS (The Best)".

If I had the capability of drawing a picture this is what it would be.

First there would be a dolphin swimming along having a good time and
not changing
Second there would be a Big shark that is swimming to the dolphin.  The
shark is still growing as it gets closer to the dolphin.
The shark (JAWS) would finally reach the dolphin (Flipper).
The shark would open its mouth and begin to eat the dolphin.
Above the sharks head the would "I use to eat people.  Now I eat bad
programs."

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!104!810!Scott.Green
Internet: Scott.Green@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org

William.Wilson@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (William Wilson) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12383

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 WS>      I wish one day I would have the time to sit down and
 WS>  really work with vocal eyes.  From what little I saw of it, I
 WS>  think that it has great possibilities. But, you know it is
 WS>  hard to change.   BEsides, I love using macros.  They cut down
 WS>  on a lot of time.

Walter,
    I'm curious...how do you use the Jaws macros?
     From my use of Vocal-Eyes, I have found that the ability to define
hot keys for everything from soup to nuts, along with the ability to
define cursor keys to read everything from a window to a particular
enhancement and still be sent to the application, almost totally
eliminates any need I could dream up for a macro.
    I am honestly just curious, as all Jaws users seem to expound upon
the macro feature in their speech program, but I think Vocal-Eyes has
come up with a very effective alternative.
                                                        Willie

... BlinkTalk, Dr. Deb and Silver in Pittsburgh!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!William.Wilson
Internet: William.Wilson@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

William.Wilson@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org (William Wilson) (12/07/90)

Index Number: 12384

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SG> It is no secret that jaws is the best in screen reading
 SG> technology today.  I have a few reasons to base my opinion on.

Scott,
     When you say "a few", you ain't kidding!

 SG> I am here by stating that this is just my opinion and I invite
 SG> anyone to prove me wrong in this statement, "Jaws makes all
 SG> other screen-readers look like dead fish in the water."Go
 SG> ahead make my day.  Prove me wrong.

If you had actually shown any real knowledge of the other speech
programs, or even of Flipper, the program to which you directed your
attack (Flipper uses absolutely no control keys for hot keys in its
default settings Scott!) I would go into great detail as to the
advantages that certain speech programs have over others, but frankly, I
think you got a lot of reading, and thus LEARNING, to do before I even
consider playing the "My dog is bigger than yours!" game with you

     Well, ok, maybe just a little...
     You're in the big leagues now Scott, so perhaps you had better sit
on the bench and learn how to play the game before you start brushing
back the batters!  You're liable to be the victim of a real fast ball to
the nogin if you continue to relish in your naivety!
                                                        Willie

... Like a bat out of Bellevue!

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!89!William.Wilson
Internet: William.Wilson@f89.n129.z1.fidonet.org

aaron@humus.Berkeley.EDU (Aaron Akman) (12/10/90)

Index Number: 12425

In article <16285@bunker.UUCP>, Scott.Green@f810.n104.z1.fidonet.org
(Scott Green) writes:
|> is easy to guess.  You can tell by my subject heading.  It is no secret
|> that jaws is the best in screen reading technology today.  I have a few

I'm sure this is a "well traveled path" but what do folks think of
screen reading technology versus applications that are specifically written
for blind users?  Are there word-processors/spread-sheets/whatever out
there that have completely audio interfaces that are a step up from
WordPerfect w/JAWS?  Also, what's available for the UNIX user?

Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org (Tandy Way) (12/29/90)

Index Number: 12605

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

scotty someone should beam you back up to planet volkin or something
what are your cridentials to speak intellegently on screen reading
programs. no one here ever heard of you until these two messages then
you come out with your guns blasting.  how much experience do you
have with voice output how many computers do you own and operate? you
don't mention other packages like vocal eyes have you tried their
demo?  I doubt it sounds like you are here to preach the bible
according to ted henter and there are some intelegent members of this
echo who don't buy your diatribe if you got a bone to pick with
flipper use a twenty five cent stamp and keep it off the echo we
really don't care.

... Without Waves there would be no change

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!377!6!Tandy.Way
Internet: Tandy.Way@f6.n377.z1.fidonet.org

Doug.Geoffray@f8.n369.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Geoffray) (01/04/91)

Index Number: 12635

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 SG> Everyone wants to know what the best screen reader is right?
 SG> Well it is easy to guess.  You can tell by my subject heading.
 SG> It is no secret that jaws is the best in screen reading
 SG> technology today.  I have a few reasons to base my opinion on.
 SG> I am here by stating that this is just my opinion and I invite
 SG> anyone to prove me wrong in this statement, "Jaws makes all
 SG> other screen-readers look like dead fish in the water."  Go
 SG> ahead make my day.  Prove me wrong.

Scott,
  I did not quote your entire message because of its size but to remind
a few readers, you compared Flipper and JAWS and thought they were the
only two worth comparing.  The bottom line was that you thought JAWS
was the best screen reader by far on the market.

Also just to let you and the others know I am the author of Vocal-Eyes so
it will be a bit hard for me to be completly unbias.

First of all Scott, let it be know that I personally don't believe there
is such a thing as the best screen reader.  I think there is such a thing
as the best screen reader for a particular individuals needs but it stops
right there.  Given at least two screen readers I could always give you
good and bad points about both.  One screen reader may not work at all
for a particular application but the other will or vis-versa.

If you have not worked with Vocal-Eyes I stongly suggest that you do.  I
would be glad to send you a demo version simply for your knowledge if you
would like.  Also Scott, please note that I am not trying to convert you;
I am simply leting you know more about what is out there asside from
Flipper and JAWS.

As for support, I honestly don't believe you can do better than GW Micro.
I personally handle the majority of the technical support here 9 hours
per day.  Very few companines allow you to talk with the actual programmer.
If the programmer doesn't know the answer how do you expect someone else to
know?

I really don't want to do a comparison of Vocal-Eyes and brand X.  However
I would be glad to offer some of the features that Vocal-Eyes has that
makes it shine.  Also, as I said I would be glad to send you a demonstration
version simply for your knowledge.

Regards,
Doug Geoffray
GW Micro
310 Racquet Drive
Fort Wayne, IN  46825
(219) 483-3625

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!369!8!Doug.Geoffray
Internet: Doug.Geoffray@f8.n369.z1.fidonet.org

Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Gary Petraccaro) (01/23/91)

Index Number: 13137

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

-> In a message to Tandy Way <12-27-90 1:30:> Grant Downey wrote:
->
-> GD> applications program I've ever run it through. You talk
-> GD> about
-> GD> strange I just got a new 8386 computer and everythings
-> GD> works
-> GD> great except the old Artic program.  The review kursor
-> GD> won't
-> GD> read correctly.  Other than that everything works great.
-> GD> Jaws,

Grant,

     What version of Artic and does your 80386 have VGA installed?  If so,
who made the video board?  There was a problem with Artic and VGA and you
may need to call them.  Those are probably the questions they'll start
with.  I've stuck with version 1.4, don't have hardware cursor tracking
and, thus, have not yet experienced the problems you have.  That's one
reason I'm looking around for something else since I don't plan on
upgrading my synthesizer card until it's  absolutely necessary.  Hope this
makes sense, kind of rushed at the moment.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Gary.Petraccaro
Internet: Gary.Petraccaro@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org

Chuck.Oppermann@f30.n3603.z1.fidonet.org (Chuck Oppermann) (06/22/91)

Index Number: 16361

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

DS>Are there any plans to have a command line switch for jaws to load
DS>in extended and/or expanded memory?

Right now JAWS can be loaded in hi memory with 386 to the Max and
QEMM.  Expanded memory is another thing.  We found JAWS operates too
slowly when it gets paged in and out of expanded memory.  That is
something we will fix in the very near future.

Yours Truly...Chuck Oppermann

 * DeLuxe2/386 1.1 #250s * The DreamLand Express - St.Pete, FL - 813/821-8099

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3603!30!Chuck.Oppermann
Internet: Chuck.Oppermann@f30.n3603.z1.fidonet.org