[misc.handicap] A Complaining Sighty

Dr.Deb@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Dr Deb) (06/18/91)

Index Number: 16146

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

To: mgflax@phoenix.princeton.edu (Marshall G. Flax)

 > 2) It is not surprising, nor is it inonsistent, that a
 > person who has
 > been blink for decades would find the word 'blink'
 > unacceptable and yet
 > use the word 'sighty'.  The relationship between the two
 > words is not
 > symmetric, because the relationship between the two groups
 > is different.
 > The sighted have tried to define and control the lives of
 > blind people
 > for centuries.  The blind have not tried to do the reverse
 > to the
 > sighted.  It's not a symmetric power relation; it is
 > oversimplifying and
 > naive to assume that the two words should be treated the
 > same.

Dear Sir,

    The relationship between the two words is more direct and
symmetrical than you would have people believe.  The terms are
offensive to the person or group to which they are applied.(see
nigger-honky, spick-gringo)  When the sole use for a descriptive
noun is to belittle, aggravate, or insult it has a wide company.
    The second "point" made is also based on a  fallacy.  The
blind, along with other handicapped persons and other minorities,
have more than evened the power relationship.  With the current
state of politics, they have actually taken the superior position
in the contest and hold people not in the politically advantaged
minorities hostage to laws and regulations that force them to
modify business access, hire by quota rather than merit, expend
resources and capital to benefit the minority at the expense of
both the majority and the individual business, take verbal and
physical assault and degradation as though it didn't matter, and
now even change their speech to pander to their assailants.
Unfortunately, you can dismiss this whole argument not with logic
or facts, but with the sure knowledge and unflinching conviction
known in the deepest heart of every leftist , socially ignorant
radical born.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!129!90!Dr.Deb
Internet: Dr.Deb@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org

cmfaltz@phoenix.princeton.edu (Christine Marie Faltz) (06/20/91)

Index Number: 16240

Amazing how someone could harangue Marshall Flax for making argument for
my use of the word 'sighty' -- note the apostrophes, folks; it wasn't
meant to "belittle" anyone -- can imply that Marshall is a leftist,
socially ignorant and a radical.  Does this mean that anyone who is a
leftist is a radical and socially ignorant?  I am a libertarian, and as
such, some ofmy beliefs are categorized "leftist" while others are
declared "on the right."  Although I agree that hiring by quota rather
than ability is disgusting, this aspect of affirmative action can be
blamed much more easily on the white do-gooders than the minorities they
 were "helping".  After all at the time of the civil rights movement,
many of those who beieved fundamentally that black and white were equal
held the contradicting belief that blacks could not get their own jobs
if offered a good education.
	Let's talk about that "superior" position we minorities
supposedly have in what the good Doctor calls a "contest."  Have you any
idea how bad inner-city schools are?  The merit which children are born
with is being butchered by teacher bias, poor curricula, drugs (imported
by rich pushers, usually the Mafia) and violent crime.  Women are raped
at four times the rate they were raped fifteen years ago.  One out of
four black men is dead before the age of twenty-five.  Violence against
gays andlesbians is rising dramatically -- these people are generally
tortured before they are killed or left to die.
	This is not social ignorance, let me assureyou.  If you desire
statistics or resources for this or any other information, I will gladly
comply.
	Minorities are still minorities in this country; let's not fool
ourselves.  Yes, I do agree that there are "bad" things that have been
brought on by civil rights bills.  Their good far outweighs the former,
however, and the more we are able to accept one another and believe it
when one of us says we are capable, the sooner such laws will not be
necessary.
	Doctor, please keep in mind that ad hominem never gets you
anywhere -- except back to the Dark Ages, perhaps.
Christine
|	Poor is the person 	|	Christine Faltz 		|
|	whose permission 	|	33 Prospect Ave.		|
|	depends upon the 	|	Princeton, NJ 08540		|

34AEJ7D@CMUVM.BITNET (Bill Gorman) (06/20/91)

Index Number: 16250

Dr.Deb@f90.n129.z1.fidonet.org (Dr Deb) writes:

>   The second "point" made is also based on a fallacy.  The
>blind, along with other handicapped persons and other minorities,
>have more than evened the power relationship.

We have? Really? When?

Did I miss the Second Coming of Christ, or something?

Why do you sound so bitterly reactionary about allowing the disABLED
something akin to a reasonable, dignified existance?

Sez me,

W. K. (Bill) Gorman

Fair Warning: flame in private, roast in public.

morris@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Mike Morris) (06/25/91)

Index Number: 16375

cmfaltz@phoenix.princeton.edu (Christine Marie Faltz) writes:

>Women are raped
>at four times the rate they were raped fifteen years ago.

Are sure that part of the increase isn't due to more women reporting the
rapes?  I know that an ex-girlfriend told me that her mother never
reported her rape, but she did.  Methinks that the different attitudes
of today would have an effect on the statistics.

--
Mike Morris   WA6ILQ   | This space intentionally left blank.
PO Box 1130            |