[misc.handicap] Scooters

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16332

On Sun, Jun 02 Bob Yankun (1:101/460) wrote the following to All:
 BY>Can you tell me  something about 3 wheeled scooters?
 BY>What you recomend and why.Wether or not my medi-care pays for 80
 BY>percent or not or anything in general. I really need your help
 BY>with this decision.      Thanks........bob

I have a Pace Saver Plus.  I believe the manufacturer is Leisure Lift.  It is my
dearest posession (did I say that?) but it does have some problems.  The one I
have is 3 1/2 years old so I have no idea how it compares to the ones they make
now.  I understand that the new ones are substantially different.  Most of the
comments I have about it you could probably apply to selecting any machine.

The biggest problem I have had is that I have had 2 motors go bad on me.  I am a
fairly gentle scooter user so it is not from abuse or poor maintenance.  Bad
luck or a bad product?  Who knows?  On the plus side, new motors are about $150
and so far my insurance has been willing to pay.  I understand motors for other
scooters are a LOT more expensive.

The seat is fine for the way I use it (on and off it all day) but would not be
satisfactory for longer periods of time.  Find a seat you like!

It is not long enough for me.  I am 5'7'' but very long from hip to knee so my
legs are too long for it.  The plus side here is that its base is short enough
to just fit on the lifts of some of the old clunker paratransit buses here.

Power for outdoor use seems reasonable.  I simply do not have the energy (me
personally, not the scooter) to do much outdoor adventuring so I likely haven't
tested the conditions you may want to be able to handle.

Perhaps the most important thing I can say here is that I do remember how hard
it is to make the decision to get one of these beasties.  But it makes life
SOOOO much more livable that it is well worth finding your way over the
emotional hurdle.

Adrienne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!41.15!Adrienne.Barhydt
Internet: Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (06/26/91)

Index Number: 16449

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Bob, I forgot to mention:

Check several places before buying and get quotes from each on the price and
also question how their service center works - do they come out to the house?
are you given a loaner if they will take more then one day to repair or if you
need to go to work and have to have one for that day?  etc.

Also, when you narrow it down to a couple or three ask to have one for a couple
of days and try each of them that way.  I would not recommend the 1/4 horsepower
(like the Amigo has) unless you are very thin and light in weight.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.1!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org