[misc.handicap] Travel-sight vs blind

Dan.Kysor@f998.n203.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Kysor) (06/25/91)

Index Number: 16402

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

well i must jump in here and say i use to have 2200 vision but now
i am totally blind.  i remember when i was vacationing on santa
catalina and a sighted group wanted to go on a midnight hike.  no
one had flashlights so i took them on the hike and man, were they
impressed but what i really want to say is that sighted people have
the independence to drive, the blind don't.  but if you look into
the sighted driving, how independent are they really.  i don't have
to sit in traffic jams, i don't have to yell and scream at my
fellow drivers, and most times, i'll get into town faster on the
bus then someone in a car because i don't have to look around for a
parking spot.  as far as pedestrian travel, in new areas where a
sighted person sees whats there, obviously they have it over us in
travel but in familuar areas, it's about the same i think.  if you
make a list of travel methods, cars, bykes, walking, bus etc, and
scored the list, the sighted would win hands down... dan

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!203!998!Dan.Kysor
Internet: Dan.Kysor@f998.n203.z1.fidonet.org

Margo.Downey@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org (Margo Downey) (06/25/91)

Index Number: 16437

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

Well, Dan, and others, sighted folks have the cars, bikes, etc., and the
ability to see new areas where they are traveling--but I have seen many
sighted folks who are not the best drivers--some I won't ride with at all any
more, and sighted folks who can't read a map worth a dern and who, maybe being
able to see a new area, still can't function.  And, I've seen blind folks who
can and can't function well using techniques we blind folks use.  I believe
somewhat we're saying the same things.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!382!60!Margo.Downey
Internet: Margo.Downey@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org

rudy@mtqua.att.com (Rudy Vener) (06/28/91)

Index Number: 16464

In article <16437@handicap.news> Margo.Downey@f60.n382.z1.fidonet.org writes:
>Index Number: 16437
>
>Well, Dan, and others, sighted folks have the cars, bikes, etc., and the

  Blind folks have bikes too.  Mine is a Kuwahara, 18 speed tandem :-)

>ability to see new areas where they are traveling--but I have seen many
>sighted folks who are not the best drivers--some I won't ride with at all any

   However poor a driver a sighted person is, I suspect he or she is
much better at it than a blind person would be.

--
Rudy Vener  uucp: att!mtqua!rudy   internet: rudy@mtqua.att.comm