[misc.handicap] Vocal Eyes 2.0

Doug.Geoffray@f8.n369.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Geoffray) (06/25/91)

Index Number: 16407

[This is from the Blink Talk Conference]

 MO> Does vocalize hav ethe capability to be loaded into extended or
 MO> expanded memory, or high memory, thepart that's left over in
 MO> the 1meg you get with 286 machines, above the 640 normal
 MO> memory?

Mary,
  Yes, currently, Vocal-Eyes is the only screen reader which is capable
  of loading in expanded or extended memory.  Once loaded in either
  type of memory, Vocal-Eyes 2.0 only requires 4K of DOS RAM.

If you have a 286 or 386 with 1meg or RAM, chances are the extra 384K can
be used as extended memory.  On a few machines however, that memory can
not be used for anything.  I would guess you could load Vocal-Eyes in
extended memory with no problems.

 MO> Looking forward to
 MO> seeing whomever it is will be at  Tampa with the new version.
 MO> Is the manual available in braille, if you want to pay extra
 MO> for it, or available as a straight ascii text if you want to
 MO> make your own braille print?

Great,
  I will be at the NFB convention but Dan will be at the ACB.  The Vocal-Eyes
  manual is available in Braille from third-party vendors.  ARTS has just
  told me he is capable of selling the manual.  As for the price, I am
  not sure.  The Vocal-Eyes manual is rather large.

Every product we develop and sell contains the manual in large print, on
audio cassette tape and on disk.

I hope I have answered all your question.

Regards,
  Doug

... GW Micro -- Fort Wayne, IN -- (219) 483-3625

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!369!8!Doug.Geoffray
Internet: Doug.Geoffray@f8.n369.z1.fidonet.org

kirk@braille.uwo.ca (Kirk Reiser) (06/28/91)

Index Number: 16465

Doug.Geoffray@f8.n369.z1.fidonet.org (Doug Geoffray) writes:

>Index Number: 16407

> MO> Does vocalize hav ethe capability to be loaded into extended or
> MO> expanded memory, or high memory, thepart that's left over in
> MO> the 1meg you get with 286 machines, above the 640 normal
> MO> memory?

>Mary,
>  Yes, currently, Vocal-Eyes is the only screen reader which is capable
>  of loading in expanded or extended memory.  Once loaded in either
>  type of memory, Vocal-Eyes 2.0 only requires 4K of DOS RAM.

This above state is not true as far as, the only package which will load
into expanded or extended memory.  Both ASAP and JAWS can be loaded in
various ways into expanded or extended memory.

  Kirk
email:   kirk@braille.uwo.ca		room H045 Health Sciences Addition
phone: (519) 661-3061			University of Western Ontario
					London Ontario N6A 5C1