[misc.handicap] 3 wheeler

Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (06/18/91)

Index Number: 16213

[This is from the Spinal Injury Conference]

In a message of <Jun 02 19:57>, Bob Yankun (1:101/460) writes:
 >Can you tell me  something about 3 wheeled scooters?
 >What you recomend and why.Wether or not my medi-care pays for 80
 >percent or
 >not or anything in general. I really need your help with this
 >decision.

Well, I can't say whether medicare will pay (my mom got one and they told her
they would pay, to go buy it and submit the bill.  She did so and they said
NO, they would not pay because she went ahead and bought it first).

I do have one of my own (compliments of Voc Rehab).  It is called the SHUTTLE
and is  made by Pride Healthcare, Inc. Pittston, Pa. - they have an 800 number
(call 1-800-555-1212 and they will give you the number to call) and can tell
you where it can be seen locally.
I tried the AMIGO brand and found it to be too small for my bulk and the motor
not large enough either.  The Shuttle has an automatic brake when the motor
disengages, it has cloth and foam covered seats and arm rests.  The arm rests
can be pulled up to exit the cart from the side or you can swivel the seat
sideways
to get out.  The tires are the kind you put air in and are more shock absorbent
then the hard rubber ones on the Amigo.  The Shuttle uses TWO gel batteries
and has a built in battery charger.  It can be taken apart into Three pieces
to be put in the back of the car or trunk.  It is sturdy (I'm pretty hard on
stuff) and the motor is large enough to take me up ramps etc.  The seat is
adjustable
up and down (with or without optional hydrolics).
I know there are probably things I'm missing but those, I guess, are the
highlights.
Good luck.

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.1!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Pandora Nigh) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16310

  Hi Bob, a tricart can be a great thing but it depends on what usage
you have in mind and how good your upper torso strength and back are.
They can go in and out of doors and depending on the model and wether
they are rear wheel drive will tell you how much umph they hav have.
 They are notorious on turning radiuses so if you need to use it in the
house remember that and that a front wheel drive has a shorter turning
radius than the rear wheel drive. A rear wheel drive will handle rougher
terrain and also steeper inclines and bumps better. As for Medicare
paying for them, they do the 80% to a max of $1,1000 and as long as the
tricart doesn't cost over $4,000. If you want some more specifics let me
know. I am presenty using a Sierra rear wheel drive tricart till my new
chair finally gets here. I use it indoors and out and have not really
had any probls getting over difficult terrain.
                               Pandora

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!157!3!Pandora.Nigh
Internet: Pandora.Nigh@f3.n157.z1.fidonet.org

Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org (Julie More) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16311

Hello Bob!

In a msg of <02 Jun 91>, Bob Yankun writes to All:

 BY>  Can you tell me  something about 3 wheeled scooters?
 BY>  What you recomend and why.Wether or not my medi-care pays for 80
 BY> percent or not or anything in general. I really need your help with
 BY> this decision.      Thanks........bob

Scooters are great. It gives you the freedom of going long distance
without getting so tired that by the time you get where you want to
go you are too tired to do what you wanted to do. (Hope that makes
sense. <grin> It's 7:15 in the morning, so it's way too early for
my messages to make sense. <chuckle>) The ones I see most often is
the Fortress 2000 scooters.  Bill Freads has one, so he can tell
you more about it. They have better shock absorbers, easier on the
backside when you go over bumps. They have pneumatic tires so you
can get up on the curbs easier. The only problem with them is if
you want to take it apart to get it in your car. It can be done,
but each individual pieces are heavy to lift in the car. Also it's
like a puzzle and not the easiest to put together. I think you can
go upto 20 km before recharging. Is that right, Bill?  Anyway, Bill
can tell you more about it.

Julie

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!163!223.2!Julie.More
Internet: Julie.More@p2.f223.n163.z1.fidonet.org

Terry.Norris@p0.f7.n3803.z1.fidonet.org (Terry Norris) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16325

 JM> Hello Bob!

 JM> In a msg of <02 Jun 91>, Bob Yankun writes to All:

 BY>>  Can you tell me  something about 3 wheeled scooters?
 BY>>  What you recomend and why.Wether or not my medi-care pays for 80
 BY>> percent or not or anything in general. I really need your help with
 BY>> this decision.      Thanks........bob

I have a "Little Rascal", and it does OK getting me from place to place,
although it hasn't held up as well as I'd hopped.  It does break down into
manageable pieces for putting into the trunk of a car, with the heaviest of
the pieces weighing in the area of about 40 Lbs.  Has no shocks at all, but
a decent padded seat and pneumatic tires smooth the ride a whole bunch.  The
model I have is a rear wheel drive model  (both wheels are driven), and I can
go pretty much wherever I desire.  The batteries are rated for 20 miles on a
charge, but damned if I can get it...course I am probably a little (lot)
heavier that the person who established that distance.

Sure beats not going...which I would do alot of if I didn't have a scooter.
If youy finances can manage a lift, they are worth their weight, and u never
have to take the scooters apart in order to be auto-mobile.

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!3803!7.0!Terry.Norris
Internet: Terry.Norris@p0.f7.n3803.z1.fidonet.org

Bob.Yankun@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Yankun) (06/21/91)

Index Number: 16337

Thanks for the help Nadine, but I don't know wether this helps or
not:)I'm so confused. It sounds like the one each individual has is the
one to get.I'm looking for something I can get to the local store,for
now with.The bike isn't going to work like I hoped it would.Our local
rehab will help only if I get a job.I say to them how do I get out and
look for one? Thay say that's up to me.I say I'm not looking for charity
just some help.There's no justice it seems. It seems that just because I
look so good (that awful but true phrase)they won't help.Any suggestions
on that one?I can't talk well enough so that most people can understand
me.What sort of range do you get.The nearest fishin hole is about 20
miles round trip.I don't know what the range is of a 3 wheeler.thanks
again.......bob

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!101!460.0!Bob.Yankun
Internet: Bob.Yankun@p0.f460.n101.z1.fidonet.org

Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Nadine Thomas) (06/26/91)

Index Number: 16451

Hi Bob!

Yes, it can be confusing - as my last post suggests, ask for
loaners for a couple of days each so you can get an idea if the
horsepower is enough, if the seat is comfortable etc.  I had the
opportunity to try an Amigo first (from a neighbor) and quickly
found out that the molded seat was tooooooooooo small for me and I
could not just sit and stand - I had to sit on the edge of the seat
and literally slide back into it - in emergency I could not just
get out (found that out the hard way).  It was not strong enough to
get me up minor ramps by my home.  The hard rubber tires jarred my
spine something awful and made me feel worse.  So, you see, you can
learn a lot from trying them out first.  I also learned that the E
& J one is very shabbily made - the steering stem is much too loose
and threatens to break off with so much play in it.  One of the
other ones was too jerky when trying to start and stop - the
control lever would snap in instead of going smoothly when I
pressed on it - A person could conceivably get whiplash from it.

Automatic brake is VERY important - I went off the back of a van lift because
of the ineptness of the driver AND a lack of an automatic brake (the Amigo).

If Voc Rehab is giving you too much grief then you might want to send a letter
to the governor of your state - it has been a proven route here in Arizona.
You are in Mass. if I am not mistaken - Maybe Ron Rothenberg can give you some
helpful suggestions, if you ask (he is on the echo too).

Keep letting us know!

Nadine

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!300!7.1!Nadine.Thomas
Internet: Nadine.Thomas@p1.f7.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org (Adrienne Barhydt) (06/28/91)

Index Number: 16488

On Sun, Jun 02 Bob Yankun (1:101/460) wrote the following to All:

 BY>Can you tell me  something about 3 wheeled scooters?
 BY>What you recomend and why.Wether or not my medi-care pays for 80
 BY>percent or not or anything in general. I really need your help
 BY>with this decision.      Thanks........bob

I have a Pace Saver Plus.  I believe the manufacturer is Leisure
Lift.  It is my dearest posession but it does have some problems.
The one I have is 3 1/2 years old so I have no idea how it compares
to the ones they make now.  I understand that the new ones are
substantially different.  Most of the comments I have about it you
could probably apply to selecting any machine.

The biggest problem I have had is that I have had 2 motors go bad
on me.  I am a fairly gentle scooter user so it is not from abuse
or poor maintenance.  Bad luck or a bad product?  Who knows?  On
the plus side, new motors are about $150 and so far my insurance
has been willing to pay.  I understand motors for other scooters
are a LOT more expensive.

The seat is fine for the way I use it (on and off it all day) but
would not be satisfactory for longer periods of time.  Find a seat
you like!

It is not long enough for me.  I am 5'7'' but very long from hip to
knee so my legs are too long for it.  The plus side here is that
its base is short enough to just fit on the lifts of some of the
old clunker paratransit buses here.

Power for outdoor use seems reasonable.  I simply do not have the
energy (me personally, not the scooter) to do much out door
adventuring so I likely haven't tested the conditions you may want
to be able to handle.

Perhaps the most important thing I can say here is that I do
remember how hard it is to make the decision to get one of these
beasties.  But it makes life SOOOO much more livable that it is
well worth finding your way over the emotional hurdle.

Adrienne

--
Uucp: ..!{decvax,oliveb}!bunker!hcap!hnews!105!41.15!Adrienne.Barhydt
Internet: Adrienne.Barhydt@p15.f41.n105.z1.fidonet.org