[comp.sys.ncr] bash-1.04 and cc

bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) (01/09/90)

cc(1) emits the following error when I attempt making bash 1.04

builtins.c:  290: token too long
builtins.c:  341: token too long
error 1
**** stop.

Browsing builtins.c I see some *very* long strings defined.  What
possible compiler toggles can I use to make the cc(1) token table
(or whatever) large enough to hold these strings ?  Furthermore,
where can I find the cc(1) error messages documented ?  Maybe I'm
blind, but I sure as heck can't find *any* documentation in the
Programmers Ref, Users Ref, Programmers Guide, Super Users Ref,
Super Users guide ... ad infinitum ... *it sure would be nice*
to be able to look up these short little error messages from
cc(1) in a nifty reference and find a long description of each
error accompanied by possible bypass/fixes.  With that off my
chest, anyone know how to solve a "token too long" error ?

Art Neilson
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
Voice: (808)848-5358
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root
ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root@trout.nosc.mil

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (01/10/90)

In article <6078@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) writes:
> cc(1) emits the following error when I attempt making bash 1.04

> builtins.c:  290: token too long
> builtins.c:  341: token too long

> What possible compiler toggles can I use to make the cc(1) token table
> (or whatever) large enough to hold these strings ?

You can't.  It does compile on a Tower32/700 (Rel 1.00).

> [...]
> anyone know how to solve a "token too long" error ?

You could use the the gnu version of cpp if you have it.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM