[comp.sys.ncr] ksh

bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) (01/04/90)

Anyone know of a ksh for the NCR Tower 32/600 ?  I have the ASPEN ksh
on my 386 box at home and really like it.  The command line editing is
a gas and my shell scripts execute much faster due to the additional
builtins.

Art Neilson
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root

mechjgh@texbell.swbt.com (01/09/90)

Art Neilson writes...
> Anyone know of a ksh for the NCR Tower 32/600 ?  I have the ASPEN ksh
> on my 386 box at home and really like it.  The command line editing is
> a gas and my shell scripts execute much faster due to the additional
> builtins.
You're in luck, ASPEN has ported the korn shell for the Tower as well.
I had a talk with them a year ago - at that time they had a port for
Tower32/6x0 O.S. release 1.03.xx and they were working on a port for
O.S. release 2.01.xx. They charged U.S. $295 for the product then.

Best regards
--
  \_____Jes
        NCR Denmark as, Teglvaerksgade 31, DK-2100 Copenhagen O, Denmark

"A satisfied customer, we should have him stuffed"
                                     - John Cleese in Fawlty Towers
                                                                   _____/

jimh@aubsch.UUCP (Jim Hart) (01/15/90)

ASPEN is available for the Tower.  I have it, but don't use it, because
when I spawn a shell from within vi, which is most of the time, I don't
get ksh, I get Bourne.  I have called ASPEN several times on this, and they
never get back to me, not even to tell me that it is an NCR problem.

Jim Hart                            uunet!usm3b2!aubsch!jimh
Dept. of Education                  Phone: 207-784-6431
P.O. Box 800, 23 High St.
Auburn, ME     04210
USA

bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) (01/15/90)

In article <2039@texbell.swbt.com> jimh@aubsch.UUCP (Jim Hart) writes:

>ASPEN is available for the Tower.  I have it, but don't use it, because
>when I spawn a shell from within vi, which is most of the time, I don't
>get ksh, I get Bourne.  I have called ASPEN several times on this, and they
>never get back to me, not even to tell me that it is an NCR problem.

The reason sh is spawned instead of ksh is the following alias at the
top of your .env file in your home directory:

alias -x vi='SHELL=/bin/sh vi'

If you read the comments directly above the alias, it reads as follows:

#  Change the vi invocations so /bin/sh is the shell escaped to.
#This avoids the vi/ksh 8th bit conflict with ":!echo %" like commands.

Note, this info is from the ASPEN ksh on my 386 box at home.  I don't
have ksh yet for our Tower at work, I am *assuming* that the same
problem would occur on any box.  If you don't use commands from
vi like ':!echo %'.  The release notes state "KSH now accepts eight
bit character sets transparently.  Previous versions used the eighth
bit internally to keep track of quoting".  I have removed that alias
from my .env with no problems, I never really tested commands like
the above.