[comp.sys.ncr] How can I find out how much memory an NCR system has on board?

jack@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) (02/02/90)

Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?

-- Jack Alexander

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (02/03/90)

In article <1478@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:
> I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
> memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?

In Tower32/[64]xx Rel 2.0x there is a program called show (/etc/show). This
program is run when you go multiuser and the output saved in /etc/show.out.
One line of the output is:

	Total Good Physical Memory:           16771072 Bytes (Decimal)

On Tower32/200 and Tower32/700 and probably Tower32/600 (Rel 3.xx) the
equivalent program is /etc/sysdef.  It is not run at boot time.  On a 700
the output contains these lines:

	Memory Carrier 0:				16 Megabytes
	Memory Carrier 1:				0 Megabytes

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

tbertels@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Bertelson) (02/03/90)

jack@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:

>Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
>area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
>memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?

Try

	echo "maxmem/D" | awk /unix /dev/kmem

for maximum user memory, or

	echo "physmem/D" | awk /unix /dev/kmem

for physical memory.  Multiply this number by the clicksize (1024 I
think, look in /usr/include/sys/param.h for NBPC) (Tower 32/800; don't
know about other models).

This is the test used by the compress software to detemine how much
memory it can use.
--
Tom Bertelson			DISCLAIMER:  My opinions are my own and
Tom.Bertelson@Dayton.NCR.COM	in no way reflect those of my employer.

syackey@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve Yackey) (02/03/90)

In article <1478@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:
>Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
>area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
>memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?
>
>-- Jack Alexander

For 5.3 systems, sysdef or show will work.

In article <1946@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> I wrote:
> On Tower32/200 and Tower32/700 and probably Tower32/600 (Rel 3.xx) the
> equivalent program is /etc/sysdef.

/etc/sysdef is also used on the 800, but the output is a little harder
to interpret.  Only the AP's have memory that a user process can use:

*
* Slot   Module Name     Status          Memory Size     Load Name
* ----   -----------     ------          -----------     ---------
   0     a000            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   1     a100            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   2     a200            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   3     a300            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   4     a400            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   5     a500            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
   6     f200            GOOD            0x00100000      /fp.020
   7     f300            GOOD            0x00100000      /fp.020
   8     f400            GOOD            0x00100000      /fp.020
  10     m0s0            GOOD            0x00100000      /tp.cchp
  11     t000            GOOD            0x00100000      /tp.010
  12     t100            GOOD            0x00100000      /tp.010
  13     t200            GOOD            0x00100000      /tp.010
  14     t300            GOOD            0x00100000      /tp.010
  15     f000            GOOD            0x00200000      /fp.020
  16     f100            GOOD            0x00200000      /fp.020
  17     e000            GOOD            0x00100000      /ep.tcp
  18     a600            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
  19     a700            GOOD            0x01000000      /ap.68k
*

So this system has 128Mb of memory on 8 AP's.  Please, kids, don't try
this at home; it's not a supported configuration.

--

steve@pmday_2.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (02/03/90)

In article <1478@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:
>Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
>area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
>memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?

If you are running NCR release 2.0X.0X on a 32/4X0-6X0, the show(1M) command.

It will give you all sorts of information about what kind of PMC, SUS Level,
Multi-Bus boards present, their address(es), what kind of disk and
tape drives, what size memory boards.

On a 32/8X0, the only way I know of is to check the memory configuration
from the SUS startup menus.

On a 32/4X0-6X0, you can get a click map of valid memory segments.  Also
on a 32/4X0-6X0 when the system is booting, it will tell you how much
memory you have.

--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USDPG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) (02/03/90)

In article <1478@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:
>Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
>area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
>memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?
>
>-- Jack Alexander

A couple of approaches:

	- if you're running on a Tower 32 with Unix 2.01 or higher, the
	  show(1M) command will tell you all about the hardware
	  configuration.  Caution: the man page says to only run it when
	  there is no other system activity.

	- for older releases, boot the system in manual mode and do a
	  QUERY function.  Pick the EXAMINE SYSTEM CONFIGURATION or
	  EXAMINE SYSTEM SIZE option (depending on firmware release), and
	  look for the display of GOOD CLICKS.  You'll see a list of hexa-
	  decimal ranges: each click is 2K of memory.  So if you see up to
	  03FF (=1023 decimal) that means you have 2 MB.

	  Note the click map may be discontinuous depending on the sizes of
	  memory boards on the system.

	- hardware hacker's approach:  open the system and look at the memory
	  boards (turn off the battery before taking them out!)

John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
1100 Central Parkway W., Suite 38
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5C 4E5
Tel: 416-272-3881 Fax: 416-272-1555
UUCP: ...!uunet!attcan!darkover!seachg!jalsop

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (02/05/90)

In article <1613@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM> tbertels@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Bertelson) writes:
> 	echo "maxmem/D" | awk /unix /dev/kmem

adb works better than awk.
--

tbertels@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Bertelson) (02/05/90)

tbertels@cipc1.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Bertelson - that's me) writes:

>jack@stevie.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:

>>Hello:  I am the system adminstrator for many NCR towers in the Las Vegas
>>area.  I have situations arise where I want to be able to find out how much
>>memory I have on the computer.  Where can I look to find this?

>Try

>	echo "maxmem/D" | awk /unix /dev/kmem

>for maximum user memory, or

>	echo "physmem/D" | awk /unix /dev/kmem

OUCH!  That should be "adb", not "awk".

Thanks to Mike Wescott for pointing out the errors of my ways.