[comp.sys.ncr] Policy on 'unsupported' programs such as nroff

duane@anasaz.UUCP (Duane Morse) (02/04/90)

We recently reported a problem with compressed mm macros shipped
with nroff under 5.3 for the Tower 32/600; in particular, running
nroff with -cm produced a core dump, and -mm worked fine. The
problem resolution from NCR's standpoint was "nroff isn't
supported". And sure enough, the tail end of the man page says
that nroff isn't supported.

It seems silly to ship software which, by its mere existance,
people will expect to use, and then wash your hands of any
support. Doesn't this cause irritation in the customers? What's
the point?
--

Duane Morse	e-mail: duane@anasaz (or ... asuvax!anasaz!duane)
(602) 861-7609

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (02/05/90)

In article <1253@anasaz.UUCP> duane@anasaz.UUCP (Duane Morse) writes:
> It seems silly to ship software which, by its mere existance,
> people will expect to use, and then wash your hands of any
> support. Doesn't this cause irritation in the customers? What's
> the point?

Yes.  It irritates some; likewise lack of certain tools and programs
would irritate others.  And even "unsupported" programs do get some
support, one has to yell a little louder though. And, as is the case
of nroff, it is still usable in many cases in spite of the bugs.

In the case of nroff, troff etc. there are several problems.  The
troff and nroff that support compressed macros have been superceded
by later versions (Documenter's Workbench in AT&T's nomenclature)
which are a separately licensed product.  A second problem is that
even these versions are notoriously buggy, and fairly complex. If
a customer were to require DWB we would generally recommend a vendor
that sells and supports DWB.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

tmoore@coss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom Moore) (02/09/90)

duane@anasaz.UUCP (Duane Morse) writes:

>We recently reported a problem with compressed mm macros shipped
>with nroff under 5.3 for the Tower 32/600; in particular, running
>nroff with -cm produced a core dump, and -mm worked fine.

Try adding the line shown below to the file /usr/lib/macros/mm[nt] and
rebuild the compacted macros (See nroff(1) for how).

      .ds; \u"\d
 -->  .co
      .if\*(]ZMM DEFINED \{\
      .tmERROR: MM package read twice
--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *