[comp.sys.ncr] postscript printers on Tower system

fred@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Fred Spreuwers) (02/13/90)

>>Does anyone have a PostScript printer connected to the Tower?
>>We've been using ours (NEC LC890) for a while connected to an HPSIO port,
>>sending the output straight to the port using "cat".
>>I'd like to use it through the "lp" spooler instead, and I'm hoping
>>someone has already written a suitable interface program, to save me
>>re-inventing the wheel.

I have been using the "lpr" spooler to print to the NEC LC890 printer for
about 6 months without a problem. There are a few things that you have to do
to get the "postscript batch" mode on the printer to work properly.

	1. Remove the entry for the printer out of the /etc/inittab file.

	2. Always use the -b option of "lpr/print".

	3. Set up the printer for 9600 baud and even parity.

These changes are necessary because anything other than a postscript file will
cause the printer to start processing and not properly process the postscript
file. Removing the entry from "/etc/inittab" will prevent the system from
sending that tty port a login banner. This will work because the HPSIO ports
default to 9600 baud and Even parity.

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

| Fred Spreeuwers             | e-mail:                            \
| NCR Corporation             | fred@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM        \________
| Corporate Customer Services | ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!fred          |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd.      | ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!fred |
| West Columbia, S.C. 29169   | ( Bug-Busters ) _____________________________|
|_____________________________|________________/

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (02/15/90)

In article <1990Feb12.161547.5882@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM> fred@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Fred Spreuwers) writes:

>>>Does anyone have a PostScript printer connected to the Tower?
>>>We've been using ours (NEC LC890) for a while connected to an HPSIO port,
>>>sending the output straight to the port using "cat".
>>>I'd like to use it through the "lp" spooler instead, and I'm hoping
>>>someone has already written a suitable interface program, to save me
>>>re-inventing the wheel.

We have Diconix Dijit 1/PS printers -- Inkjet postscript printers -- connected
to each of our 34 store towers, another one connected to our lab tower, and
some Data Products PostScript printers connected to a few other towers.

4 years ago, when we started installing Towers, we decided we didn't like
the way NCR's lp spooler worked (sorry).  It was eating processes like crazy,
for one thing.  We have a set of screen-based programs that the end-users
use to keep track of what's going on, which we update constantly.

In any case, we wrote our own spooler.  One of the concepts we installed
in it was the idea of report forms.  Any file that we print prints under
some form or other such as portrait -- normal file printed in portrait
orientation; landscape -- ditto but rotate 90; port2 -- 2-up portrait;
port2d -- 2-up portrait duplexed, etc.  Each *form* contains information
such as text or a file to send before each job.

Thus, we then wrote jobs that emulate line printers.  So when I want to
print a file, all I have to say is:

	lpr -qps -fland file.name

It'll print through the queue called "ps", format "land".

The system is pretty cool.  We've added other things like report archiving,
piping the file through a program before feeding it to the printer,
compression with print-time uncompression, report manipulation so
overstriking, etc, print correctly, etc.  Also, unlike other systems I've
seen, our PS program doesn't require a lot of PS commands to be sent down
(lots of nasty overhead that way).  Instead, we send down a postscript
program immediately followed by the text to print -- the program reads
until end-of-file and print accordingly, handling page breaks, commands
to change fonts, etc.

----

In any case, if you want to talk further about this, you can drop me a line.
I do not have authority to send you all our code if you decide you'd like to
use it, but I can talk to you about what we've done, and if you're interested,
request permission to send you a copy.

In any case, anyone who is dissatisfied with NCR's spooler should complain
to NCR.  Our one voice managed to get some changes made, but the underlying
ideas behind it remained.  If *we* didn't like it so badly that we wrote our
own replacement, I'll bet others out there feel the same way...

Not to bash NCR -- I love our Towers -- but one can't expect them to do
*everything* right. :-)

-Joe
--
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Picts 1-16 are   DHDSC - Joe Larson/MIS 1060
ATT : (612) 375-3537       now ready.)       700 on the Mall, Mpls, Mn. 55402