[comp.sys.ncr] uugetty and bi-directional calling

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/09/90)

In article <48@texbell.swbt.com>  writes:
>Has anybody been able to get uugetty to work on outgoing uucico calls
>and on incoming non-uucico calls on the same modem?
>out most hardware possibilities.  Can anybody offer any suggestions?
>Mike Nolan                          (uunet!frith!upba!tssi!nolan)

Unfortunately, this is a situation where the documentation may not have
quite made it out with the software in sufficient degree of clarity.

"uugetty" is one of those programs which will work only with itself;
that is, one cannot *reliably* connect a getty with a uugetty.  Sometimes
it works, and most times not.

General rule:  uugetty to uugetty; nothin to getty... (understanding the
was the /etc/inittab file is structured).
					--sam
|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support  |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953|
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM  |
|                         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |
|                ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |

vernon@ssi400.uucp (02/20/90)

Mike Nolan (nolan%tssi%frith@mailrus.uucp) writes:

Nolan>Has anybody been able to get uugetty to work on outgoing uucico calls
Nolan>and on incoming non-uucico calls on the same modem?
Nolan>
Nolan>When I try it, the outgoing works fine, but trying to dial in produces
Nolan>strange results:
Nolan>1.  Only every other call connects, the other just answers and goes
Nolan>    nowhere.
Nolan>2.  A Ctrl-D sometimes drops carrier, sometimes not.
Nolan>3.  If the remote station drops carrier, for whatever reason, the user
Nolan>    is *not* logged off, keeping the line open so that the NEXT caller can
Nolan>    sometimes get in without having to log in.
Nolan>
Nolan>I have tried this with several modems and on several ports, so I am ruling
Nolan>out most hardware possibilities.  Can anybody offer any suggestions?

There are several things here, that are contributing to your problem (words of
experience).  I will try to take them one at a time.

First, the most probable reason for  your "every other call connection" is the
modem is set to  give responses (ATQ0).  Therefore when you dial in, the modem
sends RING's to  the uugetty.  Uugetty interprets  this as someone's login and
may be waiting for a password.  This can be fixed by setting the modem to ATQ1
and saving  this with AT&W0.  Then add  the Q0 command  to the  entry for your
modem in /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers.  If your modem  has a reset  after loss of DTR
setting (most likely AT&D3)  this can  be used to reset the modem back to ATQ1
automatically after every call.

Second, it sound as though you may be missing the "-h" argument to the uugetty
command in /etc/inittab.  It should look something like this:

ta:1:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -h -r 3 -t 60 ttya 2400

And lastly, a combination of the modem's  automatic reset and a properly wired
modem cable should correct this last problem.

I hope this helps!!

# Vernon E. Hurdle (vernon@ssi400.lonestar.org)            #