[comp.sys.ncr] Tower Multiplan 32

dougw@fdls.UUCP (dougw) (02/23/90)

We are using release 2.01.01 of Tower Multiplan 32 on an NCR Tower 32/650
under NCR Unix 02.01.01.  This version supports setting a 'printer'
environmental variable to tell Multiplan the printer that is to be used for
the Multiplan session.  We use both the lp and lpr spoolers.  Example settings
of the 'printer' environmental variable that we use are:

    printer="lpr -pt lp00"  # For lpr spooler; and

    printer="lp -c -s -0n -dlp05" # For lp spooler; then

    export printer  # To pass it to the /usr/bin/mp startup script

This works fine.

We also use NCR 4940 terminals and have auxilliary printers attached to
several of them.  To send output to an attached auxilliary printer, we have
been using the following auxptr shell script:

    trap 'echo "^T"' 0 1 2 3 15
    echo "^X"       # Turns on transparent mode of NCR 4940 auxilliary port
    cat $@
    echo "^T"       # Turns off transparent mode of NCR 4940 auxilliary port

So, to select this mode of printing under Tower Multiplan 32, we do the
following:

    printer="auxptr"
    export printer

    /usr/bin/mp

When the user then chooses the PRINT option within Tower Multiplan 32, the
option executes but does not send printed output to the attached auxilliary
printer.  It acts as if it bypassed the printing completely.

Does anyone know of a work around to allow NCR Tower Multiplan 32 to print to
an attached printer?

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (02/27/90)

In article <182@fdls.UUCP> dougw@fdls.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
> We also use NCR 4940 terminals and have auxilliary printers attached to
> several of them.  To send output to an attached auxilliary printer, we have
> been using the following auxptr shell script:

>     trap 'echo "^T"' 0 1 2 3 15
>     echo "^X"       # Turns on transparent mode of NCR 4940 auxilliary port
>     cat $@
>     echo "^T"       # Turns off transparent mode of NCR 4940 auxilliary port

The question is, does multiplan invoke its printer and pass data via a pipe
or does it write a temporary file and pass the file name to the printer
spooler.  If it uses a pipe $@ may not contain a file name.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM