[comp.sys.ncr] why do the 2.01.01 sa scripts disallow moving /tmp?

ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) (03/02/90)

I see no reason why the sa scripts should disallow moving /tmp to an
unused partition.  As distributed by NCR the script checks a file called
/menu/data/nomvdir.d for directories that cannot be moved.  For some
reason /tmp is included in it.  In my opinion it often makes sense to
dedicate a partition to /tmp, so I simply edited /menu/data/nomvdir.d,
ran the script again, and since then all seems to be just fine.

Why was this disallowed by the script, and do you see any reason why
it should not work mounting /tmp?
--
Robert Andersson, International Systems A/S, Oslo, Norway.
Internet:         ra@is.uu.no

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar1.185600.8816@is.uu.no> ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) writes:
> I see no reason why the sa scripts should disallow moving /tmp to an
> unused partition.  [ ... ]   In my opinion it often makes sense to
> dedicate a partition to /tmp

I don't know exactly why it's excluded, but yes the system runs with
/tmp on another partition.  Often performance is increased and root
filesystem problems decreased.

One reasonable explanation is that /tmp is often used in "single user",
i.e. run state 0, and files left in /tmp disappear while a filesystem
is mounted there.  These files can slowly eat up disk space if they are
not periodically cleared out.

Another possibility is the practice that some adminstrative scripts have
of leaving information in files in /tmp as signals across run-state
transitions.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

john%ncrprt@ncrlnk.dayton.ncr.com (03/08/90)

<uunet!cs.utexas.edu!is.uu.no!ra (Robert Andersson)> writes:

  >I see no reason why the sa scripts should disallow moving /tmp to an
  >unused partition.  As distributed by NCR the script checks a file called
  >/menu/data/nomvdir.d for directories that cannot be moved.  For some
  >reason /tmp is included in it.  In my opinion it often makes sense to
  >dedicate a partition to /tmp, so I simply edited /menu/data/nomvdir.d,
  >ran the script again, and since then all seems to be just fine.

Some time ago there was a bit of discussion on the Tower Mailling list
about this.

What happened to a customer here was: after moving /tmp to a partition,
a lost+found directory is made. Going multiuser, the /etc/rc script
wips out this directory.

Starting up after a shutdown, the /etc/bcheckrc script checks the
file systems, and one day /tmp fails. He tries to make a repair,
but this fails also, because there is no lost+found.

That was the scenario. No big deal, if you know whats going on.
I suppose changing /etc/rc would clear the situation.

john
--
J.Pena / SSD                     Tel:    351-1-539911
NCR Portugal                     Fax:    351-1-525760