[comp.sys.ncr] More on Polling and uusched

nolan@tssi.uucp (Mike Nolan) (03/06/90)

Thanks for all your suggestions on how to clean up my crontab entries.

Now does anybody know how to keep UUCP from logging "Wrong time to call"
messages for items in the queue for users who are flagged as "Never"
in the time to call field in /usr/lib/uucp/Systems?  These are users who
are expected to call in for their messages, so why waste the space in
the log file?

Mike Nolan                          (frith.egr.msu.edu!upba!tssi!nolan)
Tailored Software Services, Inc.
Lincoln, Nebraska
(402) 423-1490

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/07/90)

In article <358@texbell.swbt.com> nolan@tssi.uucp (Mike Nolan) writes:
> Now does anybody know how to keep UUCP from logging "Wrong time to call"

Can't do it.  Whenever uucp(1) or uux(1) queue up a job they will
kick off a uucico to handle it.  The uucico program finds that it's
not allowed to call and logs the reason the attempt failed.  You
don't really want it to fail silently, regardless of the reason.

	-Mike
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

>Can't do it.  Whenever uucp(1) or uux(1) queue up a job they will
>kick off a uucico to handle it.  The uucico program finds that it's
>not allowed to call and logs the reason the attempt failed.  You
>don't really want it to fail silently, regardless of the reason.

Uh, yes, I do; that's why, at one place, I modified "uucico" to
specifically know about "Never" (or maybe I called it "Slave" or
something) and not bother to let me know something I already *did* know,
namely that we never call them, they just call us.  It *might* be OK to
log it for attempts to call outside of off-peak hours, say, but
repeatedly logging the fact that it's the wrong time to call when it's
never the *right* time to call (because there *is* no time to call,
period) seems not to give any useful information.

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/10/90)

In article <3000@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> > You don't really want it to fail silently, regardless of the reason.

> Uh, yes, I do; that's why, at one place, I modified "uucico" to
> specifically know about "Never" (or maybe I called it "Slave" or
> something) and not bother to let me know something I already *did* know,

I'd argue that it's the cases where you don't know and are trying to
debug that you want definite reasons for failure to call.  On the other
hand there is room for compromise.  One could disble "Wrong time to call"
logging if "Never" is found and if debug == 0.

	-Mike

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

(Not really NCR-specific, so I'm forwarding this to "comp.mail.uucp".)

 >> > You don't really want it to fail silently, regardless of the reason.
 >
 >> Uh, yes, I do; that's why, at one place, I modified "uucico" to
 >> specifically know about "Never" (or maybe I called it "Slave" or
 >> something) and not bother to let me know something I already *did* know,
 >
 >I'd argue that it's the cases where you don't know and are trying to
 >debug that you want definite reasons for failure to call.

If you don't know, the first step in debugging would seem to *me* to be
to, well, read "L.sys" or "Systems", after which you *would* know.
What's more, I'd expect that most of the time you *wouldn't* be
debugging things, so...

 >One could disble "Wrong time to call" logging if "Never" is found and
 >if debug == 0.

...is a reasonable idea - in fact, I might suggest disabling "Wrong time
to call" messages if debug == 0, period (what about a machine to which
people send mail and/or news at all times of the day, but which is only
called after 11PM?).