[comp.sys.ncr] AT&T tape

jimh@aubsch.UUCP (Jim Hart) (03/10/90)

->Lou Anschuetz (temngt23@ysu.edu) writes:

>I recently posted this as a question without enough detail on the
>at&t group, and the answer seems not to be working, so forgive me
>while I try it here.
>
>I currently have at AT&T 3B2/400 which I am replacing with an
>NCR Tower 32/700 shortly.  There is about 20MB of data I need to
>move from the 3b2 to the ncr.  On the 3b2 is unix v.2.1.1, and
 >I understand I will be getting unix v.3.2.2 on the ncr.  The 3b2
>has a tape drive no which I do backups using the program ctccpio
>(obviously a variant of cpio).  I do have tar available as well,
>though have never tried it.  The tape drive on the 3b2 claims to
T>be a 23mb, 45451 512byte block unit, using DC600A tapes.  I can't
>seem to find any other reference to this tape format.  The ncr
>has a more conventional 150mb tape drive.  Is there any way to
o>move data from the 3b2 to the ncr via these tape drives????
w>(Help!)

e>I have this terrible feeling that I am going to have to asynch
r>download.......  tell me it ain't so.

Lou, I think that an asynch transfer would be the easiest thing, and it
wouldn't take that long at 9600 bps.

Jim Hart                            uunet!usm3b2!aubsch!jimh
Dept. of Education                  Phone: 207-784-6431
P.O. Box 800, 23 High St.
Auburn, ME     04210
USA

haug@almira.uucp (Brian R Haug) (03/12/90)

Actually, we had tried to do what the originator of this thread wanted to do,
but were told by AT&T that basicly the 3b2 uses a formated tape, whereas the
tower uses unformated tapes (i.e. it just writes to the tape).  Therefore, it
looks like asynchronous transfers are the only way to transfer data (unless
you want to try to move a hard disk :-) or better yet, use floppy disk :-) ).

			Share and Enjoy!

			      Brian Haug