[comp.sys.ncr] Converting from att 3b2 to ncr tower 32/700

TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET (Lou Anschuetz) (03/09/90)

I recently posted this as a question without enough detail on the
at&t group, and the answer seems not to be working, so forgive me
while I try it here.

I currently have at AT&T 3B2/400 which I am replacing with an
NCR Tower 32/700 shortly.  There is about 20MB of data I need to
move from the 3b2 to the ncr.  On the 3b2 is unix v.2.1.1, and
I understand I will be getting unix v.3.2.2 on the ncr.  The 3b2
has a tape drive no which I do backups using the program ctccpio
(obviously a variant of cpio).  I do have tar available as well,
though have never tried it.  The tape drive on the 3b2 claims to
be a 23mb, 45451 512byte block unit, using DC600A tapes.  I can't
seem to find any other reference to this tape format.  The ncr
has a more conventional 150mb tape drive.  Is there any way to
move data from the 3b2 to the ncr via these tape drives????
(Help!)

I have this terrible feeling that I am going to have to asynch
download.......  tell me it ain't so.

Lou Anschuetz (temngt23@ysu.edu)
"sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't..." Little Big Man

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause, NCR Corporate Customer Services) (03/09/90)

In article <90067.114005TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET> TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET (Lou Anschuetz) writes:
>I currently have at AT&T 3B2/400 which I am replacing with an
>NCR Tower 32/700 shortly.  There is about 20MB of data I need to
>move from the 3b2 to the ncr.  ...
>Is there any way to
>move data from the 3b2 to the ncr via these tape drives????
>
>I have this terrible feeling that I am going to have to asynch
>download.......  tell me it ain't so.

Well, I don't want to rain on the parade, but I recently  had  to
do  the aynch download routine for the same general situation:  a
customer needed to read source from an AT&T  3B/300  tape  drive,
and  put  it  on a TOWER 32/600.  I ended up having an async UUCP
cable built and transferred the data  using  ol'  reliable  UUCP.
Yes,  it  was a pain, but it did work, cost almost nothing except
some time, and left me in a fairly good humour.

Why don't the drives talk?  I belive it is more with the Firmware
on  the drives:  I never could get AT&T to write TOWER tapes, nor
vice-versa.
					--sam
|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support  |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953|
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM  |
|                         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |
|                ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (03/09/90)

In article <90067.114005TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET> you write:
>has a more conventional 150mb tape drive.  Is there any way to
>move data from the 3b2 to the ncr via these tape drives????
>(Help!)

Lou,
	We have a 3B2/310 with which we wished to interchange files
with our TOWERs.  I could never get tape media to work.  I always thought
it had something to do with the fact that the 3B2 wanted formatted tapes yet the
TOWER doesn't.
	My only successful media interchange was raw, 360Kb tar flexes.
They seemed to work in both directions.  Not very elegant . . .
	Other than that we UUCP'd it.

	Robert Heath

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Mike Nolan) (03/10/90)

Assuming that you will have both machines up and running in the same
room or fairly close, asynchronous transfer may not be as bad as you
make it out to be.

You can connect the two machines together at 19200 baud, and then
transferring 20MB of data via YMODEM should take between 3 and 4 hours.
(my formula gets 8,333 seconds x 1.8 for handshaking time, but it's
usually a little high at 19200 baud.)

If you can compress the data any, it will save time, and if you can
figure out how to get terminals running at 38,400 baud, you cut the
time by 40%.

In other words, it's about a half day of work.  Unfortunately, in my
(admittedly limited unix) experience, you could spend AT LEAST that
much time mucking around with tapes, and still not get it working :-(

Mike Nolan                          (frith.egr.msu.edu!upba!tssi!nolan)
Tailored Software Services, Inc.
Lincoln, Nebraska
(402) 423-1490

mark@qnorth.UUCP (Mark F. Proudman) (03/14/90)

From article <90067.114005TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET>, by TEMNGT23@YSUB.BITNET (Lou Anschuetz):

> I currently have at AT&T 3B2/400 which I am replacing with an
> NCR Tower 32/700 shortly.  There is about 20MB of data I need to
> move from the 3b2 to the ncr.  On the 3b2 is unix v.2.1.1, and
> I understand I will be getting unix v.3.2.2 on the ncr.  The 3b2
> has a tape drive ...
[ ... ]
> I have this terrible feeling that I am going to have to asynch
> download.......  tell me it ain't so.

Your feeling is correct.  There is no way to read AT&T's old 23 MB formatted
tapes with anything else, such as a QIC-24/120/150 etc.

However, uucp should not take more than 24 hours.  Start it Friday night.

BTW, the best way to move a lot of files is make a cpio archive on disk,
and move the archive.  This preserves permissions, and avoids the overhead
(to you and to the machine) involved with managing 4 million little files.
If your archive gets bigger than a Meg or so, split it up.  (If you fail on
the 20th Megabyte of a single file, you have to start again).

Mark Proudman						(514) 636 1732
uunet!sobeco!qnorth!mark				Quadraton Canada Inc.