[comp.sys.ncr] Fast file systems

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (03/21/90)

In some NCR literature, I see where S5R3 is advertised to have a "fast"
file system, up to 4 times faster than previous releases.

How is this accomplished? Similar to Berkeley fast file systems? I assume
that when upgrading to S5R3, you have to reformat the drives?
--
Greg

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/22/90)

In article <598@moxie.lonestar.org> hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) writes:
> In some NCR literature, I see where S5R3 is advertised to have a "fast"
> file system, up to 4 times faster than previous releases.

> How is this accomplished? Similar to Berkeley fast file systems? I assume
> that when upgrading to S5R3, you have to reformat the drives?

Nope. A 4K SysV-style filesystem with some other improvements.

A full reformat is not required.  A maint. format (just an update of boot
block and ISL) may be required.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM