[comp.sys.ncr] Streams and TLI

andrew@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andy Biewer) (03/22/90)

This article refers to Streams and TLI on a Tower running SysVR3.

I posted earlier about this topic, and got many excellent replies, thanks.
However, in looking through my systems /dev directory, I find nothing that
looks anything close to a network clone (as someone put it), such as
/dev/net, or /dev/tcp, /dev/ip, /dev/osi_cots, etc...  This poses serious
problems in using t_open, although the manual pages say,
"SUPPORT STATUS: Supported".  Could it be possible that this was never
implemented on this system?  And, if so, how would one go about installing it?

I appreciate the help.

Andy Biewer

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause, NCR Corporate Customer Services) (03/23/90)

In article <3018@uwm.edu> andrew@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andy Biewer) writes:
>This article refers to Streams and TLI on a Tower running SysVR3.
>
>I posted  earlier  about  this  topic,  and  got  many  excellent
>replies,  thanks.   However,  in  looking through my systems /dev
>directory, I find nothing that looks anything close to a  network
>clone  (as  someone  put  it),  such  as  /dev/net,  or /dev/tcp,
>/dev/ip, /dev/osi_cots, etc...  This poses  serious  problems  in
>using  t_open,  although  the  manual pages say, "SUPPORT STATUS:
>Supported".  Could it be possible that this was never implemented
>on  this  system?   And, if so, how would one go about installing
>it?

Well, the only way that I know of is for you to install a copy of
the  WIN-TCP/IP  LAN Networking product.  It does install the TLI
interfaces.

At first  glance,  this  arrangement  may  seem  to  be  slightly
unusual.   However,  the  intent  was to allow the TLI code to be
maintained by the network development groups that  actually  used
it   for   products;  therefore,  it  was  removed  from  the  OS
distribution.
					--sam
|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support  |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953|
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM  |
|                         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |
|                ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause, NCR Corporate Customer Services) (03/25/90)

In article <1990Mar22.193114.7405@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM>, vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause, NCR Corporate Customer Services) writes:
> In article <3018@uwm.edu> andrew@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andy Biewer) writes:
> >This article refers to Streams and TLI on a Tower running SysVR3.
> >
> >I posted  earlier  about  this  topic,  and  got  many  excellent
> >replies,  thanks.   However,  in  looking through my systems /dev
> >directory, I find nothing that looks anything close to a  network
> >clone  (as  someone  put  it),  such  as  /dev/net,  or /dev/tcp,
> >/dev/ip, /dev/osi_cots, etc...  This poses  serious  problems  in
> >using  t_open,  although  the  manual pages say, "SUPPORT STATUS:
> >Supported".  Could it be possible that this was never implemented
> >on  this  system?   And, if so, how would one go about installing
> >it?
>
> Well, the only way that I know of is for you to install a copy of
> the  WIN-TCP/IP  LAN Networking product.  It does install the TLI
> interfaces.
>
> At first  glance,  this  arrangement  may  seem  to  be  slightly
> unusual.   However,  the  intent  was to allow the TLI code to be
> maintained by the network development groups that  actually  used
> it   for   products;  therefore,  it  was  removed  from  the  OS
> distribution.
> 					--sam

Well, when I put my foot into my mouth, I really shove the whole
torso in!!!!!!!    :-}}}}

I was duly chastised by several people (thanks Bob, Brian, and Buzz!),
and was told that the TLI library *IS* delivered on the base OS.  Oh, My.

The path location for the library is hardly intuitive, though.  It is
		/usr/lib/libnsl.a
	    (or)/usr/lib/libnsl_s.a (shared).

Sigh.  Maybe I should give up and move to a quiet monastary somewhere!