[comp.sys.ncr] Avoid single user on cold boot

bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brian P. Minnebo) (03/29/90)

     I have several Tower 600's used by less than computer literate people.
When they reboot the system, it will run through the hardware checks, and
goto single user with a login on the console.  What I would like is for
the boot procedure to go into multi user as the default.

     Is there any method to set this up or is it fixed in the hardware?

     If it is fixed in the hardware is there a way around it by
     messing with inittab file?  ( such as making single user = init 1
     and multi-user = init 2?)

     If anyone has any experience/advice on this topic I would apreciate
hearing what you have to say, any ups and downs you experienced, or any
other information you fell mightel might be of help.

Thanks, Brian--
Brian Minnebo          | The use of COBOL cripples the mind; thus, the teaching
Oakland University     | of such should be regarded as a criminal offense.
bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu                      -- E. W. Dijkstra

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/29/90)

In article <482@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bminnebo@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brian P. Minnebo) writes:
> [...] What I would like is for the boot procedure to go into multi
> user as the default.

> Is there any method to set this up or is it fixed in the hardware?

It's not done by hardware (or firmware).  Try changing the inittab entry
marked initdefault.  From inittab(4):

	initdefault
	    Scan the entry only when init is initially
	    invoked.

	    Init uses this entry, if it exists, to determine
	    which run-level to enter initially: init takes the
	    highest run-level specified in the rstate field
	    and uses that as its initial state. If the rstate
	    field is empty, it is interpreted as 0123456 and
	    so init enters run-level 6.

	    Also, the initdefault entry can use s to specify
	    that init starts in the SINGLE USER state.
	    Additionally, if init does not find an initdefault
	    entry in /etc/inittab, then init requests an
	    initial run-level from the user at reboot time.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM