[comp.sys.ncr] Long filenames?

beihl@cadillac (03/28/90)

I'm looking at porting an application to the Tower and would like to
know if it's possible to create files with arbitrarily long names.
I don't think this is part of standard Sys V, so maybe it has been
added as an enhancement?

thanks,

Gary Beihl (beihl@mcc.com)

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/28/90)

In article <7204@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> beihl@cadillac () writes:
> I'm looking at porting an application to the Tower and would like to
> know if it's possible to create files with arbitrarily long names.

No.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

roe@sobeco.com (r.peterson) (03/29/90)

From article <7204@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM>, by beihl@cadillac:
> I'm looking at porting an application to the Tower and would like to
> know if it's possible to create files with arbitrarily long names.

This is file-system dependent.  The tower supports the "standard"
sysV file system - 14-character filenames only.

There are *no* unix file systems that I am aware of that support
arbitrarily long file names - best I know of is the BSD / FFS file
system, giving 255-char names, with a maximum pathname of 1024 chars.

--
"Norf gribble mitz der bork bork bork?"        Roe Peterson
"Lick spittle dwing dtz fritz slppp!"          roe@sobeco.com