[comp.sys.ncr] Missing Crypt Capabilities in Rel. 3

nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) (03/29/90)

I just noticed that crypt is missing from our copy of release 3. Vi is
also unable to use the "-x" flag (complains with a _very_ quick message
of "Encryption facility not available"). Has this happened to anybody else?
Did we get the export-only version or something? Did I miss something in the
installation somewhere?

Please email and I will summarize.
Thanks,

Nick
uunet!toro!nick, nick@toro.uu.net, (212) 236-3230

hl.rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (hl.rogers) (03/29/90)

In article <1276@toro.UUCP> nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) writes:
>I just noticed that crypt is missing from our copy of release 3. Vi is
>also unable to use the "-x" flag (complains with a _very_ quick message
>of "Encryption facility not available"). Has this happened to anybody else?
>Did we get the export-only version or something? Did I miss something in the
>installation somewhere?

NCR changed its software distribution strategy when Release 3 was
developed.  Release 2.xx and previous releases had two tapes, one
for domestic US (with encryption facilities) and one for international
(without encryption facilities).

Release 3 still has two tapes, but now there is one OS tape for both
domestic and international distribution, without the encryption code.
The second tape, with a separate ID, contains the Encryption modules
and is separately orderable.  The software IDs are:

	D900-0995	OS Release 3.00/3.00.01 (1-16 users)
	D900-0996	Encryption Modules 3.00/3.00.01 (US only)

	D900-0998	Additional Connectivity (17-64 users)

The numbers above are for new orders.  If you are a previous customer
upgrading from a previous software release, you should order one of
the following in place of D900-0995:

	D900-0997	OS Release 3, Upgrade from Release 1.0
	D900-0999	OS Release 3, Upgrade from Release 2.0

Sorry for the confusion.  Call your salesman and ask for your
copy of D900-0996.
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  HA!
"Call 202/653-1800 for a good time!" - John Matrow, 1989

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/30/90)

In article <1276@toro.UUCP> nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) writes:
> I just noticed that crypt is missing from our copy of release 3.

Beginning with the SysVr3 releases, the packaging was changed a bit.
We used to have two different products, one for domestic customers and
one for international (without the crypt stuff).  Now, you get a basic
tape for both, and domestic customers get a second tape with the crypt
stuff on it.  I'm told that all domestic customers should get the second
tape automatically.  Ask for D900-0996-0000 (Tower32/[46]xx) or
D900-1229-0000 (Tower32/[57]xx).

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM