[comp.sys.ncr] How to make the streamer stream?

ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) (06/15/90)

I have been trying all sorts of ways to speed up our backups.
I do *not* want to use volcopy, I prefer doing backups on a file by file
level.  This leaves me with tar/cpio (NCR supported software), and
gnutar/pax/afio (from comp.unix.sources archives).

I have not been successful in getting any of these to stream the tape.
This applies both to a 400 with a Maxtor disk and the 45/60Mb streamer
and a 600 with a SCSI disk and the 150Mb streamer.

The file system appears to be so slow that the backup programs fail to
feed the streaming tape devices fast enough to make them stream.

Are my observations correct?  Am I overlooking the obvious?  Any comments?
--
Robert Andersson, International Systems A/S, Oslo, Norway.
Internet:         ra@is.uu.no

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.190735.918@is.uu.no> ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) writes:
> I have been trying all sorts of ways to speed up our backups.
> I do *not* want to use volcopy, I prefer doing backups on a file by file
> level.  This leaves me with tar/cpio (NCR supported software), and
> gnutar/pax/afio (from comp.unix.sources archives).

> The file system appears to be so slow that the backup programs fail to
> feed the streaming tape devices fast enough to make them stream.

That's correct. In general, seek times on the disk are enough to cause
the tape to stop.  The best performance (without writing something special)
comes with using a dd in the pipe with a large blocksize.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM