[comp.sys.ncr] RFS is Unsupported

news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) (06/10/90)

RFS is unsupported...

I *finally* got my new NCR S5R3 and WIN TCP/IP product, and anxiously tried
to get RFS working, but couldn't. The release notes and man pages
give good clues, but not enough. Since the man pages say it's a supported
product, I called CODAR for configuration assistance.

CODAR said it now NOT supported, that it's just been abandoned for NFS,
(although NFS is not available for purchase yet, according to NCR sales.)

It seems pretty poor to fling a product out on the market advocating
it as a working product, and then cancel support for it immediately after
the sale.
--
Greg

hl.rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (HL Rogers) (06/11/90)

In article <3572@texbell.swbt.com> news1@texbell.UUCP writes:
<
<RFS is unsupported...
<
<Since the man pages say it's a supported
<product, I called CODAR for configuration assistance.
<
<CODAR said it now NOT supported,
<
<It seems pretty poor to fling a product out on the market advocating
<it as a working product, and then cancel support for it immediately after
<the sale.

It was never the plan to "support" RFS.  The man page is a mistake.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)
Me?  Speak for my company??  HA!

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (06/14/90)

I too have had the same rude awakening...  "No, really...  we're
SPECing the man pages.  You have a documentation bug."

For an operation allegedly supportive of open standards and all of
that good commitment stuff to not support an important (i.e. has
important technical differences), functionality-wise different
product, especially one that is going to be part of SVR4, doesn't make
the most sense.

Also, my pet NCR peeve:  if you aren't going to support it, don't even
include it if it doesn't actually work!!!  or include the source (if
you legally can--I know, for RFS, you can't).  We can support things
as well as you can, and we don't have to wait three weeks for Columbia
to get back to CODAR, either.

Andy Kailhofer
kailhofr@cvax.cs.uwm.edu
Ameritech Applied Technologies
414/678-7793

My opinions are not those of Ameritech, or myself for that matter.

jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) (06/15/90)

In article <3572@texbell.swbt.com> news1@texbell.UUCP writes:

>RFS is unsupported...
>
>I *finally* got my new NCR S5R3 and WIN TCP/IP product, and anxiously tried
>to get RFS working, but couldn't. ....

We have RFS up and running on a network of three Towers using WIN/TCP and
our own high-performance TCP/+ product. (Naturally, it works better with our
product :-) ).

If anyone has any specific configuration questions, drop me a line and we'll
try and help you out.

Of course we don't have RFS source, so if there are any *hard* bugs, you may
be out of luck.
--
John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
1100 Central Parkway W., Suite 38
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5C 4E5
Tel: 416-272-3881 Fax: 416-272-1555
UUCP: ...!uunet!attcan!darkover!seachg!jalsop

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (06/15/90)

In article <3572@texbell.swbt.com>, news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) writes:

> It seems pretty poor to fling a product out on the market advocating
> it as a working product, and then cancel support for it immediately after
> the sale.
> --

I bought an NCR version of Xenix years ago and they did the same thing
to me.

I purchased it and a modem ($495 for a 1200b internal 1/2 card!) from
them for remote support.

After the sale, when support was needed there was none to be found. My
rep tried franticly to find someone who knew something to no avail.

I was left on my own with a Xenix that was buggy. An expensive lesson
not to be repeated.
Barton Fisk
--
uucp: holston!barton

mechjgh@tnessd.UUCP (Greg Hackney ) (06/15/90)

In article <4470@uwm.edu> a07932@gus.AMERITECH.COM (Andrew D Kailhofer) writes:
>I too have had the same rude awakening...  "No, really...  we're
>SPECing the man pages.  You have a documentation bug."

So... what is a corporation to do in a situation like this?

     a. Mark it "unsupported" in the man pages
     b. Yell at CODAR and Sales for suggesting it might have been
        supported at one time.
     c. Yell at Engineering for releasing the code prematurely.
     d. Yell at the writers of the man pages for saying it
        was supported.
     e. Abandon the product.
     f. All of the above.
     g. Fix the product.