[comp.sys.ncr] RAM disk wanted for Tower 850

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (07/03/90)

The following message is being posted on behalf of a friend who
does not currently have a news feed.  Please do not post your
response as I do not read this newsgroup.
------

Wanted: ram disk for NCR Tower 850.

Crystal Foods would like to experiment with a ram: disk on our Tower 850
just like I use on my Amiga at home.  Of course, SysV UNIX doesn't think
this is a standard option.

So -- does anyone out there have or know of a ram: disk for the Tower
family?  How about for SysV and let me worry about porting it?

Please drop me a line at:  joel@crystal.MN.ORG, which is NOT the originator
of this message.  (I haven't talked The Boss into a news feed here yet,
so I impose on my friends...)

Thanks.  -Joe
----
Joe Larson               joel@crystal.mn.org       612-542-1245(w)
Crystal Foods                                      612-591-1037(h)
6465 Wayzata Blvd
St. Louis Park, Mn 55426

--
J. Deters                                      +---------+
INTERNET:  jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG             | S H * T |

bartkus@ncrats.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Patrick Bartkus) (07/05/90)

In article <7415@dayton.UUCP> joel@CRYSTAL.MN.ORG (Joe Larson) writes:

>Wanted: ram disk for NCR Tower 850.
>
>Crystal Foods would like to experiment with a ram: disk on our Tower 850
>just like I use on my Amiga at home.  Of course, SysV UNIX doesn't think
>this is a standard option.

A long time ago, I took a course called "Writing and Implementing
UNIX Device Drivers" NCR Education Services (formerly CASE)
course number B14105. One of the exercises for this class was something
similar. We created an "in-memory" file system that could be
mounted, fsck-ed, etc... We did this by creating a device driver
in the kernel that instead of controlling a "device" it
"controlled" a chunk of memory. The purpose was to put in
diagnostic printf(3c) statements to see what functions of the
the kernel device driver got involved when doing things such as fsck.

If you had a uni-processor machine and you knew how to write
device drivers and you had a machine that you could safely play around
with the kernel then you probably could do something like this.

But on a multi-processor Tower 32/850 that probably is in
production daily, I would not attempt it.
--
Patrick Bartkus 				Software Support Automation
patrick.bartkus@Atlanta.NCR.COM			Atlanta Remote Support