[comp.sys.ncr] USR HST/ds Help

larrys@adsi.UUCP (Larry Slavick) (06/28/90)

Hello;

Has anyone connected a USR HST dual standard to a NCR Tower 32/700?
I would like to know how to set up the configuration files to take
full advantage of this modem in either HST or v.32 modes.  I would
like to use this modem for dial-in or dial-out access.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Larry Slavick
--
Larry A. Slavick                              Application Data Systems, Inc.
WORK: (601)393-2046   HOME: (901)853-5967     Southaven, Mississippi

davis@ncrclt.Dayton.NCR.COM (Susan Davis) (06/30/90)

> From: uunet!adsi!larrys (Larry Slavick)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ncr,comp.dcom.modems
> Date: 28 Jun 90 14:37:15 GMT
> Has anyone connected a USR HST dual standard to a NCR Tower 32/700?
> I would like to know how to set up the configuration files to take

Larry,

I haven't connected a USR HST but I know from trying uucp on a 32/700 that
only an NCR 2500 microcom modem works with uugetty and that uugetty has
got enough bugs in the first release (1.0) that you would be better if
you used a separate modem for dialing in and dialing out and don't use
it at all.

Susan Davis
ncrclt

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (07/03/90)

In article <150@adsi.UUCP>, larrys@adsi.UUCP (Larry Slavick) writes:

LS> Has anyone connected a USR HST dual standard to a NCR Tower 32/700?
LS> I would like to know how to set up the configuration files to take
LS> full advantage of this modem in either HST or v.32 modes.  I would
LS> like to use this modem for dial-in or dial-out access.  Any help
LS> would be appreciated.

In an item on the NCR mailing list that I haven't seen on comp.sys.ncr,
Susan Davis replies:

SD> I haven't connected a USR HST but I know from trying uucp on a 32/700 that
SD> only an NCR 2500 microcom modem works with uugetty and that uugetty has
SD> got enough bugs in the first release (1.0) that you would be better if
SD> you used a separate modem for dialing in and dialing out and don't use
SD> it at all.

Perhaps all this applies to the 32/700 but not to other Towers.  I'm running
a 450, on 2.01.00 (aka System V Release 2 1/2).  I'm using uugetty on a
bidirectional line and an Everex 2400 modem.  The only problem I've
encountered, which I've documented in this newsgroup before, is that the
system fails to log off a user if the phone line drops without a CTRL-D
having been sent, this leaving a slight security hole.

I've also been able to use a very non-Hayes modem in this capacity, and
the biggest problem I had was writing a Devices entry to handle dial-outs.

I understand NCR attempted to 'improve' uugetty, and that some of the
improvements didn't work out so well.

And if the 700 is substantially different than the 450, excuuuuse me!

Below are the entries from my system:

The inittab entry for this line is as follows:

t07:1:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -h -r 3 -t 60 tty07 A vt100

I have made a few minor modifications in the gettydefs file, so that A
cycles only between a 2400 baud (first choice) and a 1200 baud line:

A# B2400 ISTRIP CS7 PARENB NL1 CR1 ECHO # B2400 HUPCL PARENB TAB3 ECHO SANE #login: #A2

A2# B1200 ISTRIP CS7 PARENB NL1 CR1 ECHO # B1200 HUPCL PARENB TAB3 ECHO SANE #login: #A

B# B300 ISTRIP CS7 PARENB NL1 CR1 ECHO # B300 HUPCL PARENB TAB3 ECHO SANE #login: #B

C# B9600 ISTRIP CS7 PARENB NL1 CR1 ECHO # B9600 HUPCL PARENB TAB3 ECHO SANE #login: #C

Contents of Devices entry:

ACU tty07 - 1200 hayes
ACU tty07 - 2400 hayes24

Dialers entry, modified as suggested by Vernon Hurdle:

hayes	=,-,	"" \dATQ0L1&D3\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT
hayes24	=,-,	"" \dATQ0L1&D3\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

Mike Nolan                                       "I don't know what apathy is,
Tailored Software Services, Inc.                  and I don't want to find out!"
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490
UUCP: tssi!nolan should work,
      if not try something like uunet!frith!upba!tssi!nolan

davis@ncrclt.Dayton.NCR.COM (07/06/90)

In article <150@adsi.UUCP>, larrys@adsi.UUCP (Larry Slavick) writes:

> LS> Has anyone connected a USR HST dual standard to a NCR Tower 32/700?
> LS> I would like to know how to set up the configuration files to take
> LS> full advantage of this modem in either HST or v.32 modes.  I would
> LS> like to use this modem for dial-in or dial-out access.  Any help
> LS> would be appreciated.
>
> In an item on the NCR mailing list that I haven't seen on comp.sys.ncr,
> Susan Davis replies:
>
> SD> I haven't connected a USR HST but I know from trying uucp on a 32/700 th
> SD> only an NCR 2500 microcom modem works with uugetty and that uugetty has

> Perhaps all this applies to the 32/700 but not to other Towers.  I'm running
> a 450, on 2.01.00 (aka System V Release 2 1/2).  I'm using uugetty on a
> bidirectional line and an Everex 2400 modem.  The only problem I've
> encountered, which I've documented in this newsgroup before, is that the
> system fails to log off a user if the phone line drops without a CTRL-D
> having been sent, this leaving a slight security hole.
>
> I've also been able to use a very non-Hayes modem in this capacity, and
> the biggest problem I had was writing a Devices entry to handle dial-outs.
>
> I understand NCR attempted to 'improve' uugetty, and that some of the
> improvements didn't work out so well.

Mike - Unfortunately the 3/5/700 are substantially different than the rest
of the systems, especially 4xx/6xx under 2.01.  It deals with being driven
by the streams drivers versus the pure hpsio and uugetty definately has
bugs under release 1.00 but some are fixed under 1.01.  To my knowledge
many folks were never able to get uugetty to work if they had old 1200
baud ncr hayes lookalike modems.

Sorry!

Susan Davis
cmd - NCR charlotte

vernon@ssi600.lonestar.org (Vernon E. Hurdle) (07/09/90)

> > LS> Has anyone connected a USR HST dual standard to a NCR Tower 32/700?
> > LS> I would like to know how to set up the configuration files to take
> > LS> full advantage of this modem in either HST or v.32 modes.  I would
> > LS> like to use this modem for dial-in or dial-out access.  Any help
> > LS> would be appreciated.

> > In an item on the NCR mailing list that I haven't seen on comp.sys.ncr,
> > Susan Davis replies:

> > SD> I haven't connected a USR HST but I know from trying uucp on a 32/700 th
> > SD> only an NCR 2500 microcom modem works with uugetty and that uugetty has

> > Perhaps all this applies to the 32/700 but not to other Towers.  I'm running
> > a 450, on 2.01.00 (aka System V Release 2 1/2).  I'm using uugetty on a
> > bidirectional line and an Everex 2400 modem.  The only problem I've
> > encountered, which I've documented in this newsgroup before, is that the
> > system fails to log off a user if the phone line drops without a CTRL-D
> > having been sent, this leaving a slight security hole.

> > I've also been able to use a very non-Hayes modem in this capacity, and
> > the biggest problem I had was writing a Devices entry to handle dial-outs.

> > I understand NCR attempted to 'improve' uugetty, and that some of the
> > improvements didn't work out so well.

> Mike - Unfortunately the 3/5/700 are substantially different than the rest
> of the systems, especially 4xx/6xx under 2.01.  It deals with being driven
> by the streams drivers versus the pure hpsio and uugetty definately has
> bugs under release 1.00 but some are fixed under 1.01.  To my knowledge
> many folks were never able to get uugetty to work if they had old 1200
> baud ncr hayes lookalike modems.
>
> Sorry!
>
> Susan Davis
> cmd - NCR charlotte

Susan and Mike, we have several computers using uugetty, including a 32/600
and 32/700.  They are both using Multitech 224EH modems.  The only problem
I had in getting this to work 100% of the time, was caused by the command
because when the remote system dialed into our modem, it (our modem) would
send the response "RING" (in upper case) to uugetty on our system.  Our
system would respond as though the remote system was using the login "RING".
This was overcome by using a feature of the Multitech and, as I have learned
since, many other modems' ablility to do a reset (ATZ) on loss of DTR (Data
Terminal Ready).  Using this feature, I set the modem's default settings to
disable command responses (ATQ1).  Then, I added a new entry in the dialers
file for a multitech modem.  This entry looked just like the hayes entry
except it enabled command responses (ATQ0).  In this way, when the modem
dials out, it has the responses enabled.  But as soon as you disconnect, and
DTR is lost, the modem is reset to disable command responses.

This now works all the time with no reported problems.

~ Vernon E. Hurdle                                             ~
~ Seay Systems, Inc.                                           ~

shawn@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Shawn Shealy) (07/10/90)

>because when the remote system dialed into our modem, it (our modem) would
>send the response "RING" (in upper case) to uugetty on our system.  Our
>system would respond as though the remote system was using the login "RING".

Vernon,

I do not know how you had your modem setup when you had this problem,
but if it were setup so that the open() by uugetty would not complete
until a call came in (this can be a verified by doing a ps and looking
at the TTY field for the uugetty entry --- if it shows a ? then the
open has not completed) then the -r<seconds> option of uugetty should
have been used.  Of course this is just another solution to your
problem --- your solution works equally well with modems which can be
set up to reset on DTR drop.  From uugetty (1M):

	  -r waittime
	       Wait to read a character	before putting out the login
	       message,	thus preventing	two uugettys from looping. An
	       intelligent modem or direct line	that has a uugetty on
	       each end	must use the -r	option.	If there is a uugetty
	       on one end of a direct line, there must be a uugetty on
	       the other end as	well, or no getty at all. If a
	       waittime	is specified, the system waits that amount of
	       time after receipt of the first character and checking
	       for the lock before input is flushed and	a second
	       character is sought. ...

>> Mike - Unfortunately the 3/5/700 are substantially different than the rest
>> of the systems, especially 4xx/6xx under 2.01.  It deals with being driven
>> by the streams drivers versus the pure hpsio and uugetty definately has
>> bugs under release 1.00 but some are fixed under 1.01.  To my knowledge
>> many folks were never able to get uugetty to work if they had old 1200
>> baud ncr hayes lookalike modems.

Susan,

The uugetty source code is the same in 1.00.00 and 1.01.00.  The problem
with setting up a line to receive incoming calls and outgoing calls
on the 3/5/700 has been solved in release 1.01.01.  I implemented the
solution myself.  Furthermore the "old 1200 baud ncr hayes look alike
modems" do work properly in this capacity --- I tested this myself.
This release is currently in its test phase and I do not know when
it will be customer available.

The streams head single threads driver open() calls.  If one process is
in the middle of opening a device and a second process attempts to open()
the device, then the second process will not cause the driver's open()
routine to be invoked until the first process's open() has completed.

This causes a problem in the case of a dial in/dial out modem as follows:
A first process (for example uugetty) attempts to open() a tty device
node which is attached to a modem without using the O_NDELAY flag.  If
carrier detect (DCD) or device ready (DSR or DTR) on that tty node is
not present, then the driver routine suspends the process.
If a call were now to come in to the modem, and the
modem were to answer and hear the carrier
tone, then it would assert carrier detect to the TOWER and the process's
open() would complete.  However, if someone wants to use the modem before
a call comes in, they may execute the cu command.  This process would
try to open() the modem using the O_NDELAY flag which says not to wait
on carrier detect and device ready to be active.  However, this second
open would hang waiting on the first open to complete.

The solution implemented for 1.01.01 deals with using a different device
node (with a new minor number) for outgoing calls than for incoming calls.

I have attached a PRELIMINARY copy of the manual page which describes the new
subdevice scheme.

-shawn

     DIALOUT(7)                                             DIALOUT(7)

     NAME
          dialout, dio - dial out tty lines

     DESCRIPTION
          For each asynchronous communications port governed by the
          nec driver (typically /dev/ttya and /dev/ttyb), the hp
          driver (hpsio ports), or the dtcs driver, there exist two
          logical devices.  Use the cmajor(1M) utility to determine
          the major device numbers for nec, hp, and dtcs devices.  The
          two logical devices are the conventional tty port and the
          dial out tty port.  The logical devices are distinguished by
          distinct minor numbers.  To determine the minor number for a
          dial out tty node (which uses the same physical port as a
          conventional tty node): add the number of physical tty ports
          (which the driver supports) to the minor number for the
          conventional tty node.  The nec driver supports 2 physical
          tty ports.  The hpsio driver supports 64 physical tty ports.
          The dtcs driver supports 96 physical tty ports.  Therefore:
          nec dial out minor number = nec conventional minor number + 2
          hpsio dial out minor number = hpsio conventional minor number + 64
          dtcs dial out minor number = dtcs conventional minor number + 96
          An open() of a dial out tty node does not wait for carrier
          detect to be asserted (whether or not the O_NDELAY flag is
          set).  If a conventional tty node is open and an open() is
          attempted on a dial out tty node, then the open() will fail
          (return -1) and errno will be set to EBUSY.  If an open() is
          attempted on a dial out tty node and an open() of the
          corresponding dial in tty node is waiting for carrier detect
          to be asserted, then the open() of the dial out tty node
          will complete successfully and the open() of the
          conventional node will normally stay suspended until the
          dial out tty node is no longer in use and carrier detect is
          present.  If a process attempts to open() a conventional tty
          node with the O_NDELAY flag set and a corresponding dial out
          tty node is in use, then the open() will fail and errno will
          be set to EBUSY.  If a process attempts to open() a
          conventional tty node without the O_NDELAY flag set and the
          corresponding dial out tty node is in use, then the open()
          will not complete until the dial out tty node is no longer
          in use and carrier detect is present.

     FILES
          /dev/tty*
          /dev/dio*

     SEE ALSO
          cmajor(1M), dual_hpsio(7), hpsio(7), nec(7), open(2),
          termio(7).

     SUPPORT STATUS
          Supported.

     Page 1                                          (printed 7/10/90)