[comp.sys.ncr] Tower Sys V.3 upgrade

jimh%aubsch@mother.bates.edu (07/16/90)

NCR may consider it a "deal" to reduce the license fee for current
customers, but I consider it a rip-off.  As far as I am concerned, the
cost should be the same $250 media charge as previous upgrades.  This
seems like another way to nickel-and-dime us to death.  The result of this
policy could very well be that they end up with two sets of customers to
support, V.2 and V.3.  They have made this same mistake over and over
in the mainframe systems.  I railed against the policy then, and will
continue to do so.  In my judgement, it will cost them more in dollars
and customer good will than they can possibly gain in revenue.

If this 'flame' upsets anyone, I apologize.
Jim Hart                            aubsch!jimh@mother.bates.edu
Dept. of Education                  Phone: 207-784-6431
P.O. Box 800, 23 High St.
Auburn, ME     04210                "Happiness is a state of mind."
USA

news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) (07/16/90)

In article <4382@texbell.sbc.com> jimh%aubsch@mother.bates.edu writes:

>NCR may consider it a "deal" to reduce the license fee for current
>customers, but I consider it a rip-off.  As far as I am concerned, the
>cost should be the same $250 media charge as previous upgrades.

With a software service contract, the 'point issue' upgrades have
only been the cost of the media. This was a new release, and my machine
hadn't been under hardware or software maintenance agreements.

For the price mentioned, I got the latest operating system, the compiler,
man pages, accounting, troff, everything (not bundled). Also I got a
full set of paper man pages in nice maroon hard binders with gold trim.

In a similar situatuion, with my 3B2-310, a much smaller machine, AT&T
charged me $600 to upgrade to S5R3. It contained only some basic stuff,
like the operating system, & lp spooler. No compiler, accounting, etc.
Also, they only sent loose updates to the man pages, not a full set of
documentation.

I thought NCR's 'deal' was wonderful in comparison.
--
Greg

dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov (Doug Walker) (07/18/90)

In <4383@texbell.swbt.com> news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) writes:

>With a software service contract, the 'point issue' upgrades have
>only been the cost of the media. This was a new release, and my machine
>hadn't been under hardware or software maintenance agreements.

We have operating system maintenance, no hardware maintenance.  Our NCR rep
tells me that "I can get a real deal" at $750 to upgrade.  He gave me a copy
of the letter Greg Hackney mentioned.  Frankly, I also think this is
excessive.  And, this doesn't even start to count the additional software
outlays when existing software doesn't work with the upgraded operating
system.

In my case, I'll probably update one of these days (years) simply because our
Data Base vendor always ports to the latest Unix release being marketed by the
hardware vendor, and I'm already one version "behind" on the data base
releases because their 03.xx port is not compatible with (will not run on) our
02.01.01 on a Tower 650.

As long as the issue has been opened, what kind of performance change (if any)
have users experienced when they went from 02.xx to 03.xx?  I've heard
(rumors, mind you) that additional swap space would probably be required
(beyond the stock 10 mb under 02.xx) and that nothing is faster and some
things are slower.  I'd be interested in your upgrade experiences; both good
and bad.  Particularly changes in overall system performance and
incompatabilities discovered with existing application software.

Doug Walker               uunet!fdls!dougw  -or-  dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov
Oregon Department of Agriculture, Salem, Oregon           (503) 378-3790

news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) (07/21/90)

In article <282@fdls.odag.or.gov> dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov (Doug Walker) writes:

>As long as the issue has been opened, what kind of performance change (if any)
>have users experienced when they went from 02.xx to 03.xx?

texbell, which is an overloaded byte pump, became more responsive with
S5R3, I assume due to the addition of paging, although I didn't bother
running any benchmarks. It has more idle time now, and programs
like Elm run snappier.

The main thing I wanted S5R3 for was for WIN TCP/IP. The Excelan
package that NCR sold us was awfully crude in my opinion, and not suitable
for use by a serious internet site. The WIN stuff is quite an improvement.
Much of the BSD type of networking code will compile and run without
much effort. I personally haven't gotten sendmail and RFS working
to my satisfaction, but just got the software and haven't given up on
it entirely yet.

In summary, the major feature improvements for me were paging and
WIN TCP/IP. If my system was not loaded, and I wasn't networking
it probably wouldn't have been much advantage for me to upgrade.

NCR, if you are listening, I'd be happy to be a beta test site
for System 5 release 4.0. Someone was saying the other day (Interactive
Communications Concepts, Houston, Texas) that the price for a
full 4.0 release for a 386 was $5K. Wow.
--
Greg

campbell@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mark Campbell) (07/21/90)

In article <282@fdls.odag.or.gov> dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov (Doug Walker) writes:
>In <4383@texbell.swbt.com> news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) writes:

>As long as the issue has been opened, what kind of performance change (if any)
>have users experienced when they went from 02.xx to 03.xx?  I've heard
>(rumors, mind you) that additional swap space would probably be required
>(beyond the stock 10 mb under 02.xx) and that nothing is faster and some
>things are slower.  I'd be interested in your upgrade experiences; both good
>and bad.  Particularly changes in overall system performance and
>incompatabilities discovered with existing application software.

We have literally dozens of industry and proprietary benchmarks that show that
release 3.00 is faster; however, the only thing most folks care about is
whether ***their*** particular application is faster.  I'd also be very
interested in hearing about situations in which "...nothing is faster and
everything is slower..." -- we'd like to pick those situations up to use in
our testing so that it doesn't slip through the next major upgrade to an NCR
system.

You are correct about the swap space -- more is required under V.3.  This was
required to fix stress panic's and system hangs -- swap memory is accounted for
a process when that process begins and not when swap memory is actually used.
Note that this is swap memory (on the disk); not physical memory.

With respect to the question in another posting concerning minimum physical
memory required; if everthing else is equal, then you shouldn't need much
more.  One warning, however, most folks using V.3 on the 32/650 are tending
to use more and more system and application packages -- this can cause the
requirement for more memory.  Some of this rumor has come from migration from
the 6x0 to the 700 -- you do need more physical memory on this machine because
of the larger virtual address space.  The 700, unlike the 6x0, has a
main-memory based MMU and requires significantly more MMU resources.

--
					      Mark Campbell
					      mark.campbell@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) (07/23/90)

In article <4482@texbell.swbt.com>, news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) writes:

> The main thing I wanted S5R3 for was for WIN TCP/IP. The Excelan
> package that NCR sold us was awfully crude in my opinion, and not suitable
> for use by a serious internet site. The WIN stuff is quite an improvement.
WIN/TCP better than Excelan?
********WIN/TCP good points.
Does function as a router.
Provides full set of user applications (ftp,telnet,rlogin,sendmail,finger)
********WIN/TCP bad points.
Hostip resolver funtion not implimented (nameserver)
limited FTP functions, sometimes get dropped when ftp to remote sites.
Sendmail implimentation crude.
********Excelan good points.
resolver funtions properly.
Rich set of FTP commands very reliable.
Uucp to any machine on the network.
Provides better network security.
Has full set of applications (ftp,telnet,rlogin,finger)
has rpr utility for remote printing to BSD or SYSV systems.
********Excelan bad points.
SMTP is totaly unusable for Internet.
cannot act as a router, Must set manual routing.

Excelan is a decent product, WIN/TCP needs some improvements
I hope WIN/TCP will be improved in the future, they can start with
sendmail, then nameserver, maybe add whois nslookup ect.

BTW, SYSVR3 is a much robust OS. There is a noticable impovement
in response time.
--
Steven Engelhardt    NCR Comten          steve.engelhardt@stpaul.ncr.com
Development Computer Center, MS: S015 ..uunet!ncrlnk!ncrstp!ncrcce!steve

news1@texbell.swbt.com (Greg Hackney) (07/24/90)

In article <144@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:

>WIN/TCP better than Excelan?
>Hostip resolver funtion not implimented (nameserver)

    I think you are right. If I remember correctly, named and nameservice
    works okay, but the gethost*() functions in /usr/lib/libresolv.a
    weren't compiled to work with the nameserver. I remember grabbing
    code from uunet and replacing files in libresolv.a.

>limited FTP functions, sometimes get dropped when ftp to remote sites.

    My FTP works perfectly, only after changing the Time To Live (TTL)
    values in sys/ip.h and sys/tcp.h to "255" and recompiling. Before that,
    it was no-connect or partial service to long haul sites. NCR's factory
    set values are too low.

>********Excelan good points.
>Uucp to any machine on the network.

     But how many on the net could uucp back?

     Excelan didn't use a "standard" uucpd daemon based on Berkeley's
     port 540, but instead used a kludge to gain access on the login port.
     This included a daemon process alright, but for transmitting rather
     than receiving.

     Berkeley uucp sites on the net could communicate happily on
     port 540, but couldn't talk with NCR Excelan sites as there
     was no provision for uucp'ing binaries over telnet type ports.

     WIN provided networked only uucp via TLI/NLS, however. Too bad
     they didn't throw in uucpd, as it's easy enough to compile. Sun
     provides both UUCPD and TLI/NLS. I don't see anyone else trying to
     emulate Excelan's method.

>********Excelan bad points.
>SMTP is totaly unusable for Internet.

     Amen. Programs that incorporate Berkeley networking calls, like Smail3,
     can be made to run under Excelan, only with great pain. With WIN, it
     compiles and runs fairly easily. I never could believe what Excelan
     tried to do with sendmail by inserting "EXOS" in the middle of addresses,
     and replacing uux and rmail with their versions, to recognize "EXOS".

>Excelan is a decent product

     WIN proved better for my needs. Does NCR still sell and support the
     Excelan based TCP/IP product?

     I fully agree that NCR's WIN product needs more work on it. The
     things that come to mind are the resolver, sendmail, uucpd, RFS
     (or add NFS). I'm also having a lot of connect failures when
     using rsh. I'm unsure if that is a bug or a tuning problem.
--
Greg

nick@toro.MTS.ML.COM (Nicholas Jacobs) (07/26/90)

>In article <144@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> steve@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Steve Engelhardt) writes:
>
>     I'm also having a lot of connect failures when using rsh. I'm unsure
>     if that is a bug or a tuning problem.
>--
>Greg

We had problems with interoperability between WIN-TCP machines and Excelan
machines, particularly with rsh's. I was sent an update:
	WIN-TCP V.3	REL: 4.00.01
	PROD ID: D900-1028-00CT
from Codar. This release seems to be backwards-compatible with Excelan for
rsh's.

By the way, with respect to sendmail, I've gotten it to work, although
I had to hack the rules. But it did interoperate with Sun and a DG iron we
had on our net. If you're having any problems with it, feel free to drop
me a line.

Cheers,

Nicholas Jacobs
nick@toro.MTS.ML.COM, uunet!toro!nick, (212) 236-3230

>     WIN provided networked only uucp via TLI/NLS, however. Too bad
>     they didn't throw in uucpd, as it's easy enough to compile. Sun
>     provides both UUCPD and TLI/NLS.

No, they don't.  UUCP in SunOS 4.1 runs only using UUCPD; there's no TLI
support in 4.1's UUCP (I sure didn't put it in, and the other person
involved with UUCP there says it wasn't put in).  Prior to 4.1, there's
no support for UUCP-over-TCP, period.

root@texbell.sbc.com (Greg Hackney) (07/29/90)

>>  WIN provided networked only uucp via TLI/NLS, however. Too bad
>>  they didn't throw in uucpd, as it's easy enough to compile. Sun
>>  provides both UUCPD and TLI/NLS.

> No, they don't.  UUCP in SunOS 4.1 runs only using UUCPD; there's no TLI
> support in 4.1's UUCP (I sure didn't put it in, and the other person
> involved with UUCP there says it wasn't put in).

Sun OS4.1 comes with RFS, including the network listener server programs
(nlsadmin) used by Towers with WIN TCP/IP. The new Sun uucico program also
has the same protocol ('e') used by WIN (in addition to 't'). But, you're
right, TLI support was not added under the -i option of uucico.

It's possible to get the Tower's WIN uucico to talk with the Sun's, with
something like:

  --Systems.tcp--  Use address for port 540
sunsite Any TCP1 - \x0002021c84c82a13

  --Devices.tcp--
TCP1,e tcp - - TLI \D tcp1

  --Dialers.tcp--
tcp1 "" "" nuucp word: sunspassword

And it's possible to get Pyramid's (att) uucico, and AT&T's uucico to talk
with the Tower's WIN uucico with this:

  --Systems--
winsite Any TCP,e 1025 winsite "" NLPS:000:001:101\N\c

However, I can't seem to get the above to work with Sun's 4.1 uucico.
--
Greg

>Sun OS4.1 comes with RFS,

Yes, I know, I was there when it was added....

>But, you're right, TLI support was not added under the -i option of
>uucico.

Yes, I didn't add it when I was working on 4.1's UUCP (I was doing it
under 4.0, which didn't have TLI in it), and I asked the other person
who worked on 4.1's UUCP, and he said it didn't support it....

>However, I can't seem to get the above to work with Sun's 4.1 uucico.

Sun's 4.1 "uucico" tries to connect to a specified TCP port number; once
there, it engages in a fairly standard "expect"/"send" dialog over the
TCP connection (normally a login sequence).  If you can talk to the
listener that way, great, otherwise, you're stuck....