[comp.sys.ncr] Terminal distribution box

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/24/90)

I'm somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to the Tower series, and
very new to this newsgroup, so forgive me if this has been hashed
over dozens of times.

I have a 32/400 with two hpsio cards.  The first one comes out to
eight DB-15's but the second has a pair of DB-37's(?) for tty08
to tty15.  There's a distribution box mentioned in the installation
manual, P/N 1401-C387-0036 for a 12 foot cable.  I've been told that
NCR is mighty proud of those adapters, something like $150 a whack.

Does anyone have the pinouts for those connectors?  I can buy the parts
cheap enough and I'm not afraid to make a medusa style cable mess.
My initial thought is to get a DB-37P shell and just stuff pins as I
need them.  Has anyone tried this?  Should I just bite the bullet and
get a "real one" from NCR.  Thanks,
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (07/24/90)

In article <1631@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> I'm somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to the Tower series, and
> very new to this newsgroup, so forgive me if this has been hashed
> over dozens of times.

The newsgroup is too new for anything to have been hashed over a dozen
times.

> I have a 32/400 with two hpsio cards.  The first one comes out to
> eight DB-15's but the second has a pair of DB-37's(?) for tty08
> to tty15.  [...]

> Does anyone have the pinouts for those connectors?

Check out the wiring diagrams in the Hardware Service Manual.  It's
called the "NCR TOWER 3400 Series Servicing/Installation Guide" with
a document number D2-0111-A.

		DB37   SIGNAL  DB15
		1	TD	1
		2	GND	11
		3	RTS	2
		4	CTS	10	Channel 0
		5	CD	12
		20	DTR	4
		21	DSR	3
		22	RD	9

		23	NC

		6	TD	1
		7	GND	11
		8	RTS	2
		9	CTS	10	Channel 1
		24	CD	12
		26	DTR	4
		25	DSR	3
		27	RD	9

		28	NC

		11	TD	1
		12	GND	11
		31	RTS	2
		13	CTS	10	Channel 2
		10	CD	12
		29	DTR	4
		30	DSR	3
		32	RD	9

		33	NC

		18	TD	1
		17	GND	11
		16	RTS	2
		15	CTS	10	Channel 3
		14	CD	12
		35	DTR	4
		36	DSR	3
		34	RD	9
		37	REVCH	13
		19	LL	5
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (07/26/90)

The pinouts for these terminal distribution boxes is in the Site
Preparation Guide.

It's my personal opinion, and one that will no doubt annoy someone at
NCR, but I think that you're better off making them yourself, but only
because the NCR expansion box takes the DB-37 to 4 DB-15s.  Yes, I
said 15, not 25, so you are going to need adapters from 15<->25
anyway, unless you go and buy special cables (either from NCR or other
third party vendors like Black Box).

If you, like me, are in a shop where you have scads of 25<->25 cables,
the 15-pin thing will be annoying.  If, on the other hand, you are a
heavy NCR shop, this probably isn't a problem.

I really wish NCR would sell distrib. boxes in both flavors, 15 and
25.

As an aside, on the 700 or 8xx series boxes, I'm told that the port
connections for the DTC (CCHP) [a many ports/one backplane card port
concentrator) has 25-pin connectors.  Is this true?  You NCR people
out there?

Andy Kailhofer
a07932@gus.Ameritech.COM
414/678-7793

tedmonds@convex.com (Tracy Edmonds) (07/31/90)

In article <5334@uwm.edu> a07932@gus.Ameritech.COM (Andrew D Kailhofer) writes:
>As an aside, on the 700 or 8xx series boxes, I'm told that the port
>connections for the DTC (CCHP) [a many ports/one backplane card port
>concentrator) has 25-pin connectors.  Is this true?  You NCR people
>out there?

Yes, the DTC (CCHP) (Systech) cluster controllers do sport 25 pin connectors.
They also allow the 700 to support either 96 TTY connects compared to 64
with HPSIO.

-tracy
Tracy R. Edmonds			tedmonds@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation		(214) 497-4753