[comp.sys.ncr] Wanted: UNIX-based cash register polling software

mckenney@talos.pm.com (Frank McKenney) (08/01/90)

A friend of mine is trying to find UNIX-based software which will
handle "polling" for his NCR cash registers.  I apologize for possibly
over-posting this request, but I couldn't find a single really
appropriate category.

The company is currently using a software package called ADCOM
(?ADDCOM?) which runs on an NCR Tower (ITX).  This package takes a
control file containing telephone numbers, etc.(1) and uses it to make
calls to each location.  The transaction data at each site is
downloaded on a daily basis to the Tower and merged into his
accounting system.

The company is in the process of replacing the NCR with an RS/6000
(AIX), and needs software to replace ADCOM.

Pointers to any software of this type, commercial or otherwise,
on any *NIX base, will be appreciated.

Frank McKenney
--------------
(1) "etc." is computerspeak for "other stuff I don't know about"
Frank McKenney, President  | {uunet,rti}!talos!mckenney
McKenney Associates	   |   mckenney@talos.pm.com
3464 Northview Place	   |   guest account - access
Richmond, Virginia 23225   |  provided as a courtesy by
USA     (804) 320-4887	   |     Philip Morris USA

nick@bilpin.UUCP (nick) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul31.234454.24018@talos.pm.com>, mckenney@talos.pm.com (Frank McKenney) writes:

> A friend of mine is trying to find UNIX-based software which will
> handle "polling" for his NCR cash registers.  I apologize for possibly
> over-posting this request, but I couldn't find a single really
> appropriate category.

NCR sells a number of such products, but they are specific to each terminal
(proper word for till so I'm informed :-)). Two packages which spring to
mind are Ultra 2126 and Ultra 2127 which handled the 2126 and 2127 terminals
and provided host database plu lookups etc. Having worked on both of these,
it shouldn't be too difficult to put something together yourself, the problem
is getting the DLC comms information re the tills from NCR.

> The company is currently using a software package called ADCOM
> (?ADDCOM?) which runs on an NCR Tower (ITX).  This package takes a
Towers do not run ITX. This sounds like an NCR I series machine to me.

Nick Price          SRL Data        || Apple link : UK0001
1 Perren Street     London NW5 3ED  || UUCP	  : nick@bilpin.uucp
Phone:              +44 1 485 6665  || Path	  : nick@bilpin.co.uk

dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov (Doug Walker) (08/04/90)

In <1990Jul31.234454.24018@talos.pm.com> mckenney@talos.pm.com (Frank McKenney) writes:

>A friend of mine is trying to find UNIX-based software which will
>handle "polling" for his NCR cash registers.  I apologize for possibly
>over-posting this request, but I couldn't find a single really
>appropriate category.

[Stuff Deleted]

>The company is in the process of replacing the NCR with an RS/6000
>(AIX), and needs software to replace ADCOM.

>Pointers to any software of this type, commercial or otherwise,
>on any *NIX base, will be appreciated.

>Frank McKenney
>--------------

Take a look at 2 products from:

Corporate Mcrosystems, Inc.
Box 2059
Mt. Support Road
Lebanon, NH  030766

Phone: (603) 448-5193

which are the MLINK Communications System and The Polling Manager.  We use
MLINK on an NCR Tower 32/650.  With a little work with their included script
language, you should be able to do what you want.  The Polling Manager
is a newer product which I believe "sits on top of MLINK".  Since I have not
used The Polling Manager, I do not know what additional utility it would
provide for your application.  I do know they have RS/6000 releases of both
products.  I am a very happy MLINK user.

Hope this helps.

Doug Walker               uunet!fdls!dougw  -or-  dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov
Oregon Department of Agriculture, Salem, Oregon           (503) 378-3790