[comp.sys.ncr] Printer setup on a 32/300

rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) (08/03/90)

This is the first of our 300/500 series machines, and it looks
like I will have to re-learn all the junk I have accumulated over
the past decade about setting up Towers.  Specifically, the
problem now is (surprise!surprise!) PRINTERS:

The task: we want to connect an HP II-D laser printer to port
tty07 on the Tower.  We do not want spooling since this is a
data-processing only system and our software must be able to
address the printer directly.

Problems:

     1. Printer Setup - The old way: We used to set up the
printer through the LPR options off of the sa menu (R.I.P. - took
me four years to learn it and now its gone!).  After setup, there
was a process running for the printer that used the gettydef
entry specified from the inittab file. This let us set the
protocol to 8-bit which is what the HP lasers look for.  We
could address the printer directly from our software or with a
simple 'cat.'

     2. Printer Setup - The new way: We try to set up the printer
with va according to the on-screen instructions.  What we get is
no printer deamon and a situation where the system apparently
opens the port only when data is being sent to the device. The
real problem is that the gettydef entry in inittab appears to be
ignored, and the protocol is the default 7-bit/even. How do I
send data directly (i.e. not spooled) to the printer?

     This is the last thing we have to do before the machine goes
to the client; any thoughts?

Thanks.
Dick Gill     Professional Solutions Group   (703)761-1163   ..uunet!psgdc!rg

vernon@ssi600.lonestar.org (Vernon E. Hurdle) (08/06/90)

> The task: we want to connect an HP II-D laser printer to port
> tty07 on the Tower.  We do not want spooling since this is a
> data-processing only system and our software must be able to
> address the printer directly.
>
> Problems:
>
>      1. Printer Setup - The old way: We used to set up the
> printer through the LPR options off of the sa menu (R.I.P. - took
> me four years to learn it and now its gone!).  After setup, there
> was a process running for the printer that used the gettydef
> entry specified from the inittab file. This let us set the
> protocol to 8-bit which is what the HP lasers look for.  We
> could address the printer directly from our software or with a
> simple 'cat.'
>
>      2. Printer Setup - The new way: We try to set up the printer
> with va according to the on-screen instructions.  What we get is
> no printer deamon and a situation where the system apparently
> opens the port only when data is being sent to the device. The
> real problem is that the gettydef entry in inittab appears to be
> ignored, and the protocol is the default 7-bit/even. How do I
> send data directly (i.e. not spooled) to the printer?

What you need is a demon process that keeps the port open all the time.
After this process has been started, the stty parameters that you set
will stay in effect until the process is stopped.  If you are familiar
with C, you can write one fairly quickly.

shawn@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Shawn Shealy) (08/07/90)

In article <4979@texbell.sbc.com> vernon@ssi600.lonestar.org (Vernon E. Hurdle) writes:
>What you need is a demon process that keeps the port open all the time.
>After this process has been started, the stty parameters that you set
>will stay in effect until the process is stopped.  If you are familiar
>with C, you can write one fairly quickly.

Even a script would suffice.  Something like the following would do:

(
trap "" 1 2
stty <DesiredSettings>
sleep 999999999
) < /dev/tty07 &

Just another idea!  Of course this method breaks down (the
<DesiredSettings> are lost) when the sleep process exits.  :-)

-shawn

tedmonds@convex.com (Tracy Edmonds) (08/08/90)

In article <6423@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> shawn@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Shawn Shealy) writes:
] >Even a script would suffice.  Something like the following would do:
] >
] >(
] >trap "" 1 2
] >stty <DesiredSettings>
] >sleep 999999999
] >) < /dev/tty07 &
] >
] >Just another idea!  Of course this method breaks down (the
] ><DesiredSettings> are lost) when the sleep process exits.  :-)

Then why not use something like:
(
    trap "" 1 2
    stty <Desired Settings>
    while :
    do
	sleep 999999999
    done
) < /dev/tty07 &
] >
] >-shawn
]

-tracy
Tracy R. Edmonds		(214)497-4753
Convex Computer Corporation	tedmonds@convex.com

haug@almira.uucp (Brian R Haug) (08/08/90)

In article <4979@texbell.sbc.com> vernon@ssi600.lonestar.org (Vernon E. Hurdle) writes:
>What you need is a demon process that keeps the port open all the time.
>After this process has been started, the stty parameters that you set
>will stay in effect until the process is stopped.  If you are familiar
>with C, you can write one fairly quickly.

Then again, one could always copy the old line from the /etc/gettydefs file
to the new one, edit /etc/inittab to run getty like the old system, and
voila!

			Share and Enjoy!

			      Brian

vernon@ssi600.UUCP (Vernon E. Hurdle) (08/08/90)

> In article <4979@texbell.sbc.com> vernon@ssi600.lonestar.org (Vernon E. Hurdle) writes:
> >What you need is a demon process that keeps the port open all the time.
> >After this process has been started, the stty parameters that you set
> >will stay in effect until the process is stopped.  If you are familiar
> >with C, you can write one fairly quickly.
>

> Then again, one could always copy the old line from the /etc/gettydefs file
> to the new one, edit /etc/inittab to run getty like the old system, and
> voila!
>
> 			Share and Enjoy!
>
> 			      Brian

Yes Brian, if you wanted the contents of /etc/issue and passwd printed on
your reports everytime your printer sends an X-ON or X-OFF character this
would work. |-)