[comp.sys.ncr] More on batch errors

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (08/20/90)

I understand that NCR UNIX versions 0103xx and 0201xx had
problems with batch and that to date these problems have
not occurred under 0301xx.

As I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to
upgrade for many months I will continue on with my one
man crusade ;-) to try and find a way to live with these batch errors.

The latest development is that I have recently installed a small
script which is run by root CRON every hour.

This script runs a program called ccf with fixed options.

I have just received a message from CRON telling me that the
program ccf was invoked with incorrect options.

This is patently impossible.

The interesting thing though is that the program ccf, displays
the usage using argv[0].

The usage says "lpirun" instead of "ccf" !!!!

LPI-RUN being another product which is being used on our systems
but was not even mentioned in the script in question.

The other interesting thing is that this new script is very
similar to a previous script I have had in place for quite a
while (with no errors) which runs every hour.

The only difference I can see is that the new script redefines
the PATH.

	PATH=$PATH:/usr/acct/coles/bin:/usr/acct/coles/ctl
	export PATH

And also has a different current directory.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

root@texbell.sbc.com (Greg Hackney) (08/21/90)

In article <1039@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:

> I have recently installed a small
> script which is run by root CRON every hour.
> I have just received a message from CRON telling me that the
> program ccf was invoked with incorrect options.
> The usage says "lpirun" instead of "ccf" !!!!
> LPI-RUN being another product which is being used on our systems
> but was not even mentioned in the script in question.

It sounds like 'ccf' is executing a program without calling it
with a full pathname. And it's executing another file of the same
that calls lpirun.
--
Greg