[comp.sys.ncr] GNU C

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/06/90)

Has anyone got the GNU C compiler to fly on NCR boxen ?
We are running OS 2.01.01 on a Tower 650, and would very
much like to have gcc up and running.  If anyone has
done this, I'd like to hear about it ;^).
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

ra@is.uu.no (Robert Andersson) (09/07/90)

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:

>Has anyone got the GNU C compiler to fly on NCR boxen ?
>We are running OS 2.01.01 on a Tower 650, and would very
>much like to have gcc up and running.  If anyone has
>done this, I'd like to hear about it ;^).

I made an attempt at this a couple of months ago.  I now have the compiler up
and running just fine, except for one *serious* problem:
The way the OS and C compiler handles stack extension, ie. probing the stack
with a tst.b instruction, is difficult to teach gcc.  I'm sure some gcc guru
could solve this pretty easily, but I'm not.

Anyway, we will be upgrading to 3.00.01 next week.  gcc should port just fine
then, since this OS release does away with the silly stack probing stuff.
Because of this I will not spend time porting it to 2.01.01.

I will post diffs to this newsgroup and to gnu.gcc when it's done.
Diffs will be based on gcc 1.37.1 with Michael Bloom's (mb@ttidca.tti.com)
patches for better COFF support added.
Don't expect anything before October though.
--
Robert Andersson, International Systems A/S, Oslo, Norway.
Internet:         ra@is.uu.no