[comp.sys.ncr] Tower 32 030001 & /etc/shadow

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (10/11/90)

The release definition (I think) says that this isn't there.  I know
that I've complained before about what NCR chooses to support and not
support, but the V.3 is *very close* to SVR3.2, with the exception of
a few little things, like the help thing, and like the /etc/shadow
thing.  In fact, not having the getspwent() stuff from libsec.a is no
great loss.  I can't think of any way to cause more incompatiblity
with old code than the way that AT&T implemented shadow passwords.
IMHO they should have modified the getpwent() set to "Do The Right
Thing" if /etc/shadow was there, and the previously right thing if it
wasn't.

I can only hope that somebody figures out the right way to do this.
Does anyone know what SVID-2 says?

Andy Kailhofer
Ameritech Services/Information Technologies
414/678-7793
a07932@gus.ameritech.com

root@texbell.sbc.com (Greg Hackney) (10/12/90)

In article <1109@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
>Having just installed V.3 onto a Tower 32 I looked for /etc/shadow which
>my UNIX V.3 referrence said should be present, it wasn't there.
>
>What level is the NCR V.3 actually at ?

I would guess that NCR's UnixV.3 Release 030001 is close to AT&T's
System 5 Release 3.2.1. AT&T's shadow password came out later in AT&T's
Release 3.2.2.

According to the AT&T 3B2 release notes, these are some of their new features:

Release 3.0
-----------
  Remote File Sharing Utilities
  Networking Support Utilities