[comp.sys.ncr] Tower/600 OS 2.01

johng@NCoast.ORG (John Gilbertson) (11/18/90)

In the process of installing 2.01 on a Tower/600, we encountered an error
during the relink of the OS in Phase III. No information other than that
was given, so we went into option 2 on the Phase III menu and tried to
manually relink the kernel. We got an ld error 13 with the following
specifics.

undefined reference                   first used in

      hpm_cnt                         lib2(hpsio.o)

I know, that I should have checked the SYSLOG, but the customer wanted his
machine back and running so we restored his 1.03 root partition backup and
turned the system back over to him.

This system was originally an upgrade from a 1632 and some of the controllers
and disk were retained. The current configuration is:

  1 - MSC Mass storage controller   2 - 140 MB Maxtors (MX43)
  2 - HPSIO8 Controllers            2 - OCTAL Controllers
  4 - 2 MB RAM Boards.              1 - 45 MB Cartridge Tape
                                    1 - Floppy Diskette Drive

Looking at the 64 user connect transmittal letter, we did notice that one
of the HPSIO8 controllers was below rev level.

Could this be a hardware version problem?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks...

| o | John Gilbertson                              johng@ncoast.org | o |
| o | Computer Decisions, Inc.          ncoast!johng@cwjcc.cwru.edu | o |
| o | Cleveland, Ohio 44130       uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!johng | o |

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov18.045431.3874@NCoast.ORG> johng@NCoast.ORG (John Gilbertson) writes:

> In the process of installing 2.01 on a Tower/600, we encountered an error
> during the relink of the OS in Phase III.  [...]

> undefined reference                   first used in

>       hpm_cnt                         lib2(hpsio.o)

> Could this be a hardware version problem?

Maybe a software version problem with /etc/config.  /etc/config should've
created /kernel/tower/cf/conf.c with a line:

int hpm_cnt = 1;

Check out the cf file, it should have a line for hpm.  The quick solution is to
do the kernel make by hand with a modified conf.c, but the real question is why
didn't /etc/config do it right in the first place?

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM