[comp.sys.ncr] copying TOWER32 install tapes.

saul@juliao.UUCP (Saul A. Juliao) (11/18/90)

A local system has asked me how to duplicate their install tapes for the
NCR Tower.  They are conserned that they have to rely on one set of tapes
if their system ever fails.

Does anyone know how this can be done?
Any help would be appreciated.

Saul A. Juliao        | uucp:  saul@juliao.UUCP
voice (416) 279-3698	 |   or   ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!juliao!saul
"If shit is not acceptable then why are MeSsy-DOS machines around?"
A childish remark, but it's all mine.

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (11/22/90)

In article <saul.6618@juliao.UUCP> saul@juliao.UUCP (Saul A. Juliao) writes:
> A local system has asked me how to duplicate their install tapes for the
> NCR Tower.  They are conserned that they have to rely on one set of tapes
> if their system ever fails.

> Does anyone know how this can be done?

You need a big empty disk, or two tape drives.  Then use dd(1) and the no
rewind tape nodes.  The tapes contain a sequence of files, some are cpio
archives and others filesystem images or bootable kernels.  Just dd the files
from tape to disk, remove and 0-length files you get (this happens sometimes)
and then write them back to the second tape.  With two tape drives, just dd
from one to the other until there are no more files on the first.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM