[comp.sys.ncr] Introduction, hello!

bill (Bill Kennedy) (11/28/90)

Hello everyone.  I got a note from Greg this morning telling me that he
wanted me to start handling the mailing list right away, so I thought I
would send my "maiden voyage" message and introduce myself.  I'll also
repeat my understanding of how this works (it's different from the other
mailing list I coordinate) so that you know what's on my mind.  You'll
hear very little out of me after this other than pleas for help with my
Tower :-)

The address towers@wrangler.WLK.COM is a "reflector", meaning that any
mail sent there will be automatically sent to the mailing list with a
copy to me to post into comp.sys.ncr.  I will also send all comp.sys.ncr
news articles to this address so that each of you gets a copy.

The address towers-request@wrangler.WLK.COM is an address that you may
use to send in administriviae, address changes, additions, deletions, etc.
Please use this address or bill@ssbn.WLK.COM when you need to tell me
something that need not be passed on to the rest of the mailing list or
posted to comp.sys.ncr.

If internet addresses don't work for you, uunet!cs.utexas.edu will work
just fine, but please put the .wlk.com domain in the address for fastest
and most reliable service.  If you omit the .wlk.com you're likely to
introduce a delay of several days before your mail is processed.

Please DO NOT use any other addresses or sites, let me explain why.  As
a solo computer consultant I move around a lot and I send and receive mail
and news from a number of identities and sites.  I can _always_ be reached
as bill@ssbn.WLK.COM or towers-request@wrangler.WLK.COM, _always_, I promise.
If you just hit the `r' button or try to track me down, it probably won't
work and may have some undesirable side effects here.  After four years
with the AT&T PC63xx mailing list they've finally agreed to ignore who he
claims to be or where it says he is, stick with the ones that always work.

One more request, if you would please.  Although there are about 150 fewer
addressees on the towers list than PC63xx, the result is the same.  Please
keep me informed if you change addresses or you know of a better path to
reach you.  I personally pay the long distance to mail the stuff out and
I personally pay the long distance to get back misaddressed and undeliverable
mail.  I don't mind paying to send it out, but I get testy when I pay for
the bounces.  Accordingly, I'm not very forgiving when an address starts
bouncing, I just comment it out and you "go dark" for a while.  If you don't
hear anything from the list for a while, I might have commented you out.  You
should drop me a note and check.  I will probably ask you to ACK my reply so
that we both know the new mail path actually reaches you.

Finally, this mailing list is completely unmoderated.  What you get is what
was sent.  I will intervene manually only to the extent needed to make sure
that you're not getting double messages and that you are getting everything
in comp.sys.ncr.  In fact, if you mail to towers@wrangler.WLK.COM, there's
a good chance that I'll see it after the others have already gotten it, it's
that automatic.  I'll do my level best to not introduce any needless delays
in the gateway to and from comp.sys.ncr, but unlike the AT&T PC63xx, I'm
not going to edit or screen anything.  The PC63xx folks prefer that I edit
and screen and they aren't shy about telling me when they don't like it! :-)
I don't have the time to do the same and Greg told me that there were strong
feelings among you that it not be done.  Please blaze away if I'm screwing
up the addressing or somesuch, but I don't want any complaints about the
content unless I'm the originator.  Feel free, for example, to scald me for
taking too much time and too many words to say hello :-)
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (11/29/90)

Apologies for this, this was a mail message to the NCR Tower mailing
list that I just inherited from Greg Hackney.  I shouldn't have been
gatewayed into comp.sys.ncr, but it was somehow.  I tried to cancel
it, but it's got a gatech Message-ID.  Please bear with me as I work
out the wrinkles.  I'll find out who got it into the newsgroup and
we'll make it stop.
--

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (11/30/90)

In article <1910@ssbn.WLK.COM>, I wrote:
> Apologies for this, this was a mail message to the NCR Tower mailing

I was apologizing because a mailing list administriviae article got
into comp.sys.ncr somehow, that was not my intent.  I tracked the
path back and it came from emory!wa4mei!holos0!Bill, so it looks like
a holos0 gateway grabbed my name and posted it as news.

> list that I just inherited from Greg Hackney.  I shouldn't have been
> gatewayed into comp.sys.ncr, but it was somehow.  I tried to cancel
> it, but it's got a gatech Message-ID.  Please bear with me as I work

I've completely revamped the mechanism and there will be neither news
articles duplicated as a result of the mailing list, nor mail messages
duplicated to the list by the gateway software here.  Everything happens,
mail notes get gatewayed to sys.ncr and sys.ncr gets mailed _once_.
If there are other sites out there trying to do the same thing, i.e.
gateway mailing list mail to comp.sys.ncr, PLEASE STOP.  Many of the
people on the mailing list are overseas and pay premium prices for their
email, let's not give them a double dose/cost.  If my mechanism doesn't
suit you, let's work it out in email, I'm trying to help.

There is an idiosyncracy that sys.ncr folk need to be aware of.  As I
mentioned, a whole lot of these folks are overseas, so let's be
considerate of their communication expenses.  Each mailed submission
gatewayed into comp.sys.ncr has a line that reads

You can't miss it, it's right after the "Lines:" line :-(  Please be
aware that if you think that you're sending email to the article's
author, you might, but please be careful.  If you send mail to the
gateway address you will propagate to the entire mailing list as well
as posting an article to comp.sys.ncr.  If you want that broad a
distribution, please just follow up and it will get to the mailing
list.  If you want to email the author, please be sure that your reply
address points to only that address.  In particular, if you see a site
named dunsel in your reply address I can assure you it will not work.
That site name is the one I use to keep them and you from getting double
doses.

Sorry to consume so much bandwidth in such a short time, but I need some
help.  If anyone knows that they are helping, it would be a big help if
you'd stop helping.  The gateway is pretty reliable but it operates on the
assumption that it's the only gateway.  If your site duplicates and
re-posts, so will mine, again, again, and again until one of us intervenes
manually.  Fortunately, Pipe Creek is pretty far out in the sticks so
things don't happen all that fast :-)  Thanks for your patience and support.