[comp.sys.ncr] The telnet "login" prompt

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (12/03/90)

I have most of the prompts in /etc/gettydefs changed so that the
login prompt is slightly more informative.  When I look in /etc/inittab
however, the prompt for a telnet login (win tcp/ip 4.10) apparently
comes from the ntty line in /etc/inittab which uses the vtty line
in /etc/gettydefs.  There is no login text after the appropriate prompt
there, however, so the question (it may be a dumb one) is where does
the word login come from when telneting in, and can it be changed?

Thanks
Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysub.ysu.edu

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (12/04/90)

In article <90336.150626TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu> TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) writes:

> I have most of the prompts in /etc/gettydefs changed so that the
> login prompt is slightly more informative.  When I look in /etc/inittab
> however, the prompt for a telnet login (win tcp/ip 4.10) apparently
> comes from the ntty line in /etc/inittab which uses the vtty line
> in /etc/gettydefs.  There is no login text after the appropriate prompt
> there, however, so the question (it may be a dumb one) is where does
> the word login come from when telneting in, and can it be changed?

For ordinary physical ports, S5R3's getty looks at the /etc/issue file and
/etc/gettydefs for login message information. Once the user provides
initial login and password information, getty passes control to /bin/login for
password checks and logging into the system. If the login fails, /bin/login
then provides a hardwired "login: " prompt, which can only be changed in
the source code.

Assuming that WIN's telnet operation is similar to Berkeley's, the
telnet process doesn't use getty, but instead does an exec to /bin/login,
uses the hardwired login prompt, therefore can't be changed. Berkeley's
uucpd daemon also has an internal fixed login message.
--
Greg Hackney
hack@moxie.lonestar.org

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (12/04/90)

In article <3833@moxie.lonestar.org> I write:

> /bin/login,
> uses the hardwired login prompt, therefore can't be changed.

This is, unless you have source code. John Haugh (jfh@rpp386) distributes
a public domain login security package that has a /bin/login replacement.
--
Greg Hackney
hack@moxie.lonestar.org

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (12/06/90)

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) writes:
>In article <3833@moxie.lonestar.org> I write:
>> /bin/login,
>> uses the hardwired login prompt, therefore can't be changed.
>This is, unless you have source code. John Haugh (jfh@rpp386) distributes
>a public domain login security package that has a /bin/login replacement.

Be careful here. WIN/TCP (as of version 3.0) does things a bit differently.
When you come in via telnet or rlogin, the daemons exec /usr/etc/netlogin,
not /bin/login. netlogin is a port of the BSD login command that supports
-r and such. Why they didn't just replace /bin/login is beyond me ...

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
        {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca