[comp.sys.ncr] HPSIO-8 parallel port pinout

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (12/16/90)

I'm not lazy, just impatient and afraid to burn something down.  I've
been unable to get my distributor to sell me a copy of the Site
Preparation Guide, I understand that the answer is in there.  I'm too
remote to be able to borrow one, but I need to hook up a printer to pp0
on the hpsio-8.

The connector is a DB-25S, does anyone know if the pinout is the same
as a pee cee?  I have cables that will work on a pee cee parallel port.
I suppose I should just try it, but it would be my luck that something
would be grounded that shouldn't be.  My distributor's sales prevention
outfit is so good that they can't even give me a price (I gave them
the NCR part number) for a "real" one.

Sorry for the dumb question, but conventional efforts thus far have been
futile.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

nolan@iti.org (Michael Nolan) (12/17/90)

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>... I need to hook up a printer to pp0
>on the hpsio-8.

>The connector is a DB-25S, does anyone know if the pinout is the same
>as a pee cee?  I have cables that will work on a pee cee parallel port.

I asked the same question several months ago, and somebody else asked almost the
same question at about the same time.

(Gee, maybe we should start a FAQ list, I'll even volunteer to maintain it and
post it regularly.)

The answer is ..... (opening the envelope) ...... NO, the pinouts are very
different.  I have them around here somewhere .....  (rummaging through old
NCR postings, loud clanking noises heard, rather like Fibber McGee opening the
closet door) .....Ah, here it is.  Gee, did I really ask this question way
back in February? .....

>In article <80@texbell.swbt.com>  writes:
>> We've just installed a 650 with 1 HPSIO card. In trying to attach
>> a printer to the system, it appears the parallel port does not
>> use the "standard" PC DB-25 pin outs to Centronics. Does anyone have
>> the pinouts or should I have bought the cable from NCR in the first
>> place?
>
>I don't intend to discourage you from buying the cable from NCR but
>the pinout can be found in the Tower Hardware Service Manual.
>
>    Tower	       Printer
>   Pin Num - Signal    Pin Num
>	 1 - DSTRB/	  1
>	 2 - DSTRB RTN	 19
>	 3 - DATA1	  2
>	 4 - DATA1 RTN	 20
>	 5 - DATA2	  3
>	 6 - DATA2 RTN	 21
>	 7 - DATA3	  4
>	 8 - DATA3 RTN	 22
>	 9 - DATA4	  5
>	10 - DATA4 RTN	 23
>	11 - DATA5	  6
>	12 - DATA5 RTN	 24
>	13 - DATA6	  7
>	14 - DATA6 RTN	 25
>	15 - DATA7	  8
>	16 - DATA7 RTN	 26
>	17 - DATA8	  9
>	18 - DATA8 RTN	 27
>	19 - ACK/	 10
>	20 - ACK RTN	 28
>	21 - BUSY	 11
>	22 - BUSY RTN	 29
>	23 - PERR	 12
>	24 - GND	 14
>	25 - PRT SLCTD	 13
>--
>	-Mike Wescott
>	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

Of course armed with this answer, I bought a cable from somebody (NOT NCR, they
wanted too much money and took two weeks to get back to me with the price
anyway) because I am not very good at making cables, and I've never made one
with a Centronics parallel connector, anyway.

Michael Nolan
UUCP:   tssi!nolan
Internet: nolan@helios.unl.edu