[comp.sys.ncr] TCP/IP+ Info Please

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (12/20/90)

Can someone tell me if the TCP/IP+ from Seachange will run on UNIX V2
NCR releases 1 and 2 ?

Also its least of basic features ?

I am particularly interested as to whether it supports auto-login,
also if it exports the TERM variable etc.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

jalsop@seachg.uucp (John Alsop) (12/22/90)

In article <1147@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:

>Can someone tell me if the TCP/IP+ from Seachange will run on UNIX V2
>NCR releases 1 and 2 ?
>
>Also its list of basic features ?
>
>I am particularly interested as to whether it supports auto-login,
>also if it exports the TERM variable etc.

1.	The TCP/+ install tape is in 'sa' format and contains 3 packages:

	- software for Unix V.2 (specifically release 2.01.01)
	- software for Unix V.3 (release 3.01.01 for Towers 400 through 650
	  and release 1.01 for Towers 300 through 700)
	- on-line man pages (these are a separate package in case you're short
	  of disk space)

	The V.2 software will run on Unix 1.03, although some of the
	installation might have to be done by hand instead of through 'sa'.

	The V.2 and V.3 versions are compatible in all respects except that
	streams/NFS support is not available under V.2.

2.	List of features: I've attached at the end of this posting an
	updated version of the TCP/+ product announcement posted here a
	while back.

3.	Auto-login and TERM variable:

	TERM is passed from the current environment to the destination host
	when you do an rlogin.

	I'm assuming that by auto-login you mean that an rlogin to another
	host does not require you to re-enter a password.  This is not the
	default behaviour, but we do support this as an option in the
	latest release. It is implemented following the Berkeley rules i.e.
	originator's hostname must be in destination's /etc/hosts.equiv or
	.rhosts files.
	We also offer a multi-session manager that lets you hot-key between
	rlogin sessions on multiple hosts.

Product summary sheet follows, hit N to skip.

Sea Change Corporation is pleased to announce the availability of the
TCP/+ high performance networking package for NCR Tower systems.

Developed under a contract between Sea Change and Communication Machinery
Corporation (a Rockwell International Company), TCP/+ consists of CMC's
ENP-30i Multibus Ethernet controller and TCP/IP protocol software, together
with Sea Change's enhancements for the Tower environment.

Major product features:
	- intelligent Ethernet controller offloads most host processing
	  resulting in higher throughput, and less system degradation
	  compared to host-based implementations
	- requires less than 35K kernel memory
	- standard network applications: ftp, telnet, etc.
	- Berkeley r-series utilities: rlogin, rcp, remsh, etc.
	- standard Berkeley 4.3 socket interface library
	- "sendmail" mail router
	- "named" Internet name server
	- SNMP support (Simple Network Management Protocol)

Tower-specific enhancements include NFS support, power fail recovery, front
panel network activity indicator, and simple installation and configuration
using NCR System Administration tools.

TCP/+ is offered as a "plug-and-play" kit and includes the ENP-30i controller,
internal transceiver cable, all required mounting hardware, software install
tape, and full documentation.

TCP/+ is available for the full range of Multibus 1 Tower models from the
Tower 400 through to the Tower 700, and requires a minimum Unix release level
of 2.01. When used with Unix V.3 releases, TCP/+ provides full support for
STREAMS and NFS.

	Michael Burke, V.P. Sales
	Sea Change Corporation
	6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8