[comp.sys.ncr] emacs on 500/700

zaphod@meshugge.media.mit.edu (Alex Skovronek) (12/31/90)

Hello,
  Has anyone out there gotten emacs 18.55 to build on a Tower 500 or
700 running release 1?  What machine and system files were necessary?
Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for all help!

...Alex Skovronek

Please send all responses via e-mail to zaphod@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (01/02/91)

In article <ZAPHOD.90Dec31093400@meshugge.media.mit.edu> zaphod@meshugge.media.mit.edu (Alex Skovronek) writes:

>Hello,
>  Has anyone out there gotten emacs 18.55 to build on a Tower 500 or
>700 running release 1?  What machine and system files were necessary?
>Is it possible?
>
>Thanks in advance for all help!
>
>...Alex Skovronek
>
>Please send all responses via e-mail to zaphod@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu

I'm going to send mail to Alex as well, but I thought a little blurb
would be in order anyway.

It is certainly possible to get 18.55 to compile correctly on the
700/500 (essentially the same machine) running 1.1.15 (the pre-release
release that I'm still running--long story), but I fear that there is
a bug in as (and ljas--they're linked).  I've applied the patches to
SVR3 supplied by ra@intsys, and compiled under both GCC (which works
like a champ, by the way) and the default cc, and both versions
exhibit the same fault, they blow up when you try to run them, and (if
sdb is to be believed) they do it in the preamble code of routines
with lisp objects as returned values or arguments (could be either, I
don't rememeber).

As much as I love emacs (it runs just fine on one of our AT&T 3B2/600s
under SVR3.2.1), I just don't have the time to find out for sure, and
I've never worked with assembler on a multitasking machine in either
case.  I'm just hoping that my PMC VI upgrades (if I ever get them)
will have a fixed assembler (if that is indeed the problem), or
somebody around here agrees to pay for my software support so that I
can bring grief and ruin to the halls of CODAR.

Just what I know about it...

Andy Kailhofer
Ameritech Services, Inc.
414/678-7793
a907932@gus.ameritech.com

I in no way represent the views of ASI.  They are far to all-knowing
and all-seeing for me to ever be able to do that.  Hmph.