[comp.sys.ncr] 380MB Disc Question

rg@gandp (Dick Gill) (02/04/91)

A client with a 32/650 has just upgraded from a 380MB to a 760MB hard
disc. I have the trade in disc and wonder if it might be made to work
in my in-house system. The disc is an NCR 380 SCSI (Maxtor XP-4380S)
with all original mounting hardware.

My in-house system is a Tower-XP upgraded with a PMC-III to a 32/600.
It has 4MB of memory, 2xHPSIO(8), a 40MB tape, one 85MB hard disc
and one 140MB hard disc. The OS is 2.2.1.  Aside from the PMC & OS
upgrade, the system is as we bought it many moons ago.

I would love to retire the 85MB disc in favor of the 380MB one;
if need be, I would scrap both current discs in order to run the
larger SCSI drive.  I would also love to move up to a 150MB tape,
but must retain the 40MB model and floppy drive to support clients.

Is this as simple as adding a SCSI controller?  Is this an easy
task or a difficult one?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dick Gill     Gill & Piette, Inc.             (703)761-1163  ..uunet!gandp!rg

vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM (Sam Vause) (02/04/91)

In article <341@gandp> rg@gandp.UUCP (Dick Gill) writes:

>A client with a 32/650 has just upgraded from a 380MB to a 760MB hard
>disc. I have the trade in disc and wonder if it might be made to work
>in my in-house system. The disc is an NCR 380 SCSI (Maxtor XP-4380S)
>with all original mounting hardware.
>
>My in-house system is a Tower-XP upgraded with a PMC-III to a 32/600.
>It has 4MB of memory, 2xHPSIO(8), a 40MB tape, one 85MB hard disc
>and one 140MB hard disc. The OS is 2.2.1.  Aside from the PMC & OS
>upgrade, the system is as we bought it many moons ago.
>
>I would love to retire the 85MB disc in favor of the 380MB one;
>if need be, I would scrap both current discs in order to run the
>larger SCSI drive.  I would also love to move up to a 150MB tape,
>but must retain the 40MB model and floppy drive to support clients.
>
>Is this as simple as adding a SCSI controller?  Is this an easy
>task or a difficult one?
>
>Thanks for your thoughts.

Well, looks like the only hardware you will need to add is the
internal SCSI controller.  For software, you will need to install
OS 3.00.02...
|Sam Vause, NCR Corporation, Customer Services - TOWER Support  |
|3325 Platt Springs Road, West Columbia, SC 29169 (803) 791-6953|
|                                vause@cs-col.Columbia.NCR.COM  |
|                         ...!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!cs-col!vause  |