[comp.sys.ncr] V.2 to V.3 upgrade program

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (03/05/91)

According to my NCR salesrep, there ie a 'special promotional price'
for upgrading a Tower/450 from V.2 to V.3.

V.2 licensed before August 1, 1988:      $900
V.2 licensed after August 1, 1988:       $505

Media, copying, and shipping are extra.  (Around $125 according to recent
posts to this newsgroup.)

This Migration Credit Program is available until March 22, 1991,
after which customers must relicense UNIX at the standard price.

(There was supposedly an offer from NCR Columbia during 1990 to upgrade
to V.3 for considerably less, but coincidently enough my NCR rep never
heard of it.)

I suspect this program applies to other Tower users as well.

Any comments?

Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)
Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu (if you can't get the other address to work)

dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov (Doug Walker) (03/06/91)

In <1995@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:

>According to my NCR salesrep, there ie a 'special promotional price'
>for upgrading a Tower/450 from V.2 to V.3.

>V.2 licensed before August 1, 1988:      $900
>V.2 licensed after August 1, 1988:       $505

>This Migration Credit Program is available until March 22, 1991,
>after which customers must relicense UNIX at the standard price.

>(There was supposedly an offer from NCR Columbia during 1990 to upgrade
>to V.3 for considerably less, but coincidently enough my NCR rep never
>heard of it.)

>Michael Nolan                              "Software means never having
>Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
>Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
>UUCP:      tssi!nolan (or try sparky!dsndata!tssi!nolan)
>Internet:  nolan@helios.unl.edu (if you can't get the other address to work)

Interesting.  Some time ago an NCR Rep gave me a 'special promotional price'
of around $1,200 for the upgrade on a 32/650 with an availability date through
approximately 12/15/90.  I have no monies to even consider an upgrade until
7/1/91.  What's your guess of pricing at that time?  A 'special promotional
offer' of $500 with an availability date through 12/15/91?  With the
inevitable cease of production of the Tower line coming your way, I would
think this upgrade would become "down right affordable" for those that
patiently wait :-).

Doug Walker               uunet!fdls!dougw  -or-  dougw@fdls.odag.or.gov
Oregon Department of Agriculture, Salem, Oregon           (503) 378-3790

ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) (03/07/91)

In article <1995@tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
>According to my NCR salesrep, there ie a 'special promotional price'
>for upgrading a Tower/450 from V.2 to V.3.

Fans of the 'conspiracy theory' may mischievously ask if :

1. Is V.2 about to become 'functionally stabilised' ( that means dropped for
non-IBM'ers) ?

2. Are NCR tring to cut support overheads ?

3. How much will NCR pay you to forego the support you payed for of V.2 and
use V.3 ??

Actually I , of course , see it as a once in a lifetime offer from the warm
and generous NCR :-) !!

Seriously I'd recommend anyone to go for V.3 especially if they want to
network.

--
Ian Spare , iT , Barker Lane , CHESTERFIELD , DERBYS , S40 1DY , GREAT BRITAIN

   E-mail : ian@ukpoit.uucp - VOICE : +44 246 214296 - FAX : +44 246 214353

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.223016.867@ukpoit.co.uk> ian@ukpoit.co.uk (Ian Spare) writes:
>3. How much will NCR pay you to forego the support you payed for of V.2 and
                                                        ^^^^^
							paid :-)

>Seriously I'd recommend anyone to go for V.3 especially if they want to
>network.

But, Ian, they will probably need some more memory, which NCR will sell you
of course.  I do like to tell our NCR salesman the price I paid for extra
memory for my MacPlus! Yes, I know that you should not compare prices like
this, but it is a good idea to keep salesmen on their toes :-).
--
Paul Wood       | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group) | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business of