[comp.sys.ncr] Latest RCS and gnudiff

jalsop@seachg.uucp (John Alsop) (03/09/91)

The above were recently posted in comp.sources.unix.

Has anyone ported these to the Tower, and if so, can you post the
diffs?

Thanks,

--
John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
Tel: 416-542-9484 Fax: 416-542-9479
UUCP: ...!uunet!attcan!seachg!jalsop

lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.205343.18084@seachg.uucp> jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) writes:
>The above were recently posted in comp.sources.unix.
>
>Has anyone ported these to the Tower, and if so, can you post the
>diffs?

There were no diffs for gnudiff, other than cutting at the makefile comment-
out the Gcc and enable the SYS-V stuff.  (Caveat: I have installed POSIX
directory searching code on "my" Towers, but I think there is some support
for this stuff in the C libraries anyway.)  Don't use -O2 with any Gnu
stuff--use -O1.  High optimization breaks alloca on the Tower, and the Gnu
folks *love* alloca.

Haven't yet updated to the new RCS version, but I really don't expect much
problem there, either.

If you're having problems installing these, send me e-mail.  I keep a
variety of tools on these Towers (a V.2 600 and and V.3 500): perl, RCS,
flex, Gnu-diff, dmake, etc.  Generally installing V.x p.d. software on the
Tower is pretty easy, though.
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.

wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar11.153710.15246@holos0.uucp> lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
> In article <1991Mar8.205343.18084@seachg.uucp> jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) writes:
> Don't use -O2 with any Gnu
> stuff--use -O1.  High optimization breaks alloca on the Tower, and the Gnu
> folks *love* alloca.

Use Doug Gwyn's alloca package or add -W2,-a,-a to CFLAGS for just those
files that call alloca.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

haug@almira.uucp (Brian R Haug) (03/17/91)

In article <1991Mar13.124251.16346@nncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> wescott@Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) writes:
>In article <1991Mar11.153710.15246@holos0.uucp> lbr@holos0.uucp (Len Reed) writes:
>> In article <1991Mar8.205343.18084@seachg.uucp> jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) writes:
>> Don't use -O2 with any Gnu
>> stuff--use -O1.  High optimization breaks alloca on the Tower, and the Gnu
>> folks *love* alloca.
>
>Use Doug Gwyn's alloca package or add -W2,-a,-a to CFLAGS for just those
>files that call alloca.

Actually, you need to use -W2,-aat or -W2,-a,-a,-t, this is documented in the
warnings section of the cc(1) man page.