[comp.sys.ncr] Pcdsk on SCSI flex

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (03/19/91)

We have a problem writing to our SCSI 5.25 flex via pcdsk(1).  I realize
pcdsk is an unsupported utility, this means we are SOL if NCR doesn't
know of an answer offhand.  Pcdsk works just fine on MSC based flex drives,
however it does not work for SMSC and HPMSC (SCSI) based flex drives.  On
our Tower 32/650 in the /etc/RELDEF directory, the following text can be
found in the file 3.00.00.rd:

      The pcdsk(1) command does not  operate  on  the  SCSI
      floppy  disks.  This  is  due  to the pcnodes(1) command not
      creating the correct nodes. The following  are  the  correct
      nodes for the SCSI floppy disk:

      /dev/pcdsk/h1s8  major no. 12, minor no. 232
      /dev/pcdsk/h1s9  major no. 12, minor no. 236
      /dev/pcdsk/h2s8  major no. 12, minor no. 200
      /dev/pcdsk/h2s9  major no. 12, minor no. 204
      /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s8  major no. 12, minor no. 224
      /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s9  major no. 12, minor no. 228
      /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s8  major no. 12, minor no. 192
      /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s9  major no. 12, minor no. 196

      It only works on the MSC  floppy.  This  is  an  unsupported
      command.

Hmmmm. the nodes mentioned here yeild no joy when created with mknod(1),
pcdsk complains that it can't open /dev/pcdsk/h2s9.  I do know of some
nodes that work, they are as follows:

      /dev/pcdsk/h2s8  major no. 64, minor no. 200
      /dev/pcdsk/h2s9  major no. 64, minor no. 204

These seem to work, we can get a directory of the flex via pcdsk,
and can transfer files from MSDOS to UNIX via the pcdsk mtu command.
However, when we attempt writing to the flex via the pcdsk utm command
the flex drive light goes on and pcdsk appears to be copying the file
to the flex.  After the copy completes, the pcdsk dir command reveals the
file was never really copied to the disk.  Is this a problem with the
pcdsk utility itself, or does it lie at the driver level ?  If it is in
pcdsk, I can take a stab at porting the PD mtools package over to the
Tower or something.  If the problem is elsewhere, I'm SOL.  Is anyone
else aware of this problem or a solution to it ??
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pilikia!art

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar19.005953.15726@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>We have a problem writing to our SCSI 5.25 flex via pcdsk(1).  I realize
>pcdsk is an unsupported utility, this means we are SOL if NCR doesn't
>know of an answer offhand.  Pcdsk works just fine on MSC based flex drives,
>however it does not work for SMSC and HPMSC (SCSI) based flex drives.
>I can take a stab at porting the PD mtools package over to the
>Tower or something.
Art,
	I have successfully ported and used MTOOLS with SCSI to TOWER.
I'll e-mail you a copy. Like PCDSK, MTOOLS are unsupported.

	Robert Heath

tim@ncrcan.Canada.NCR.CA (tim) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar19.005953.15726@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>We have a problem writing to our SCSI 5.25 flex via pcdsk(1).  I realize
>pcdsk is an unsupported utility, this means we are SOL if NCR doesn't
>know of an answer offhand.  Pcdsk works just fine on MSC based flex drives,
>however it does not work for SMSC and HPMSC (SCSI) based flex drives.  On
>our Tower 32/650 in the /etc/RELDEF directory, the following text can be
>found in the file 3.00.00.rd:

[ stuff deleted ]

>Hmmmm. the nodes mentioned here yeild no joy when created with mknod(1),
>pcdsk complains that it can't open /dev/pcdsk/h2s9.  I do know of some
>nodes that work, they are as follows:
>
>      /dev/pcdsk/h2s8  major no. 64, minor no. 200
>      /dev/pcdsk/h2s9  major no. 64, minor no. 204

[ more stuff deleted ]

Here is the file which I used on a 450, with a SCSI flex.

I found that the "utm" will sometimes core dump when copying several
files at a time.  The solution to this is to do a "dir" as the first
command after pcdsk has been run, then do the "utm".

---cut-here----------------------------------------------------------
#	Copyright 1988 NCR Corporation - Dayton, Ohio, USA
#	@(#)cmd/pcdsk:pcnodes.sh	1.1
#
# Shellscript to make device nodes to recognize PC disks.

echo "Making device nodes for PC disks"
if [ ! -d /dev/pcdsk ]
then
	echo "Creating directory '/dev/pcdsk' to contain device nodes"
	mkdir	/dev/pcdsk
	chmod	755 /dev/pcdsk
fi

echo "Raw PC -- 40 tracks, 1 side, 8 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/h1s8"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/h1s8 b 2 162
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/h1s8

echo "Raw PC -- 40 tracks, 1 side, 9 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/h1s9"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/h1s9 b 2 178
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/h1s9

echo "Raw PC -- 40 tracks, 2 sides, 8 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/h2s8"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/h2s8 b 2 34
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/h2s8

echo "Raw PC -- 40 tracks, 2 sides, 9 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/h2s9"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/h2s9 b 2 50
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/h2s9

echo "Raw PC -- 80 tracks, 1 side, 8 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s8"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s8 b 2 130
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s8

echo "Raw PC -- 80 tracks, 1 side, 9 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s9"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s9 b 2 146
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/t80h1s9

echo "Raw PC -- 80 tracks, 2 sides, 8 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s8"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s8 b 2 2
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s8

echo "Raw PC -- 80 tracks, 2 sides, 9 sectors per track ...  /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s9"
/etc/mknod /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s9 b 2 18
chmod	666 /dev/pcdsk/t80h2s9

ls -ls /dev/pcdsk/*

--
Tim.Nelson@Canada.NCR.COM  - or - Tim.Nelson@Canada.NCR.CA
NCR Canada, Customer Support Services (416) 819-4112